#WORLDCLASS Leader - Page 18

connection, affirming that we are all a large, interconnected unit. If we fail to see this connection, it can lead to the myriad illnesses we experience. He quotes Bruce H. Lipton, stating: “If humans were to model the lifestyle displayed by healthy community of cells, our societies and our planet would be more peaceful and vital.” There are 50 trillion cells that work together to serve our body. If we look at the world as one body of humanity, each of us are like those little cells, playing our role and serving the bigger purpose. Dr. Vala expounds on this, saying that if we look at ourselves with this model and not feeling disconnected, then things will fall into place. This is the theory behind his book, The Third Vision. In the 18 years that Dr. Vala has practiced medicine, he notes that the institution’s focus is on the cure of disease. The issue he takes with this paradigm is that we do not have enough global resources to confront mental, physical, and social illness. Dr. Vala believes that we have only hit the tip of the iceberg, allocating our resources to only 10% of the problem, missing out on the other 90% who face infirmity. His expertise is in helping people understand root causes of these illnesses, focusing on the early origins before conditions evolve into diabetes or cancer. The ICD-10 covers 30 mental health illnesses. Interestingly, many of these illnesses are rotten fruit on the same tree. Dr. Vala firmly addresses that we have failed to see the common denominator to many of these diseases before full-blown disorders arise. His to what he aspires to be. There are three key events Dr. Vala lists that served as the impetus to make a lasting impact in our world. During the Iran/Iraq War, he lost a good friend who died while voluntarily clearing a minefield for his comrades. It spurred Dr. Vala to question the roots of why we have wars and why we are killing each other. mission is to give people tools and knowl- Secondly, he has friends and relatives with addictions and substance abuse problems, edge to find solutions to transform their lives leading him to question how addictions are formed and why it affects people. The and prevent breakdown in overall health. If third formative event was the sudden death of his father in 2002, who suffered one were to ask Dr. Vala why he is consid- cardiac arrest without showing any of the red flags for cardiovascular disease. These ered an empowerment leader, he would be turning points in Dr. Vala’s life led him to question why, despite all the advancements hesitant to answer as he is on the journey in science and technology, we experience suffering at the individual, social, and 1 8 W O R L D C L A S S M AG A Z I N E S . C O M | JA N UA RY 2 0 1 5