Wirral Business News Issue Two - Page 9

Why apprenticeships are so important to employers large and small

A year since its inception, most employers are now aware of the apprenticeship levy introduced by the Government in May 2017.

09

The apprenticeship levy only applies to large UK employers with an annual paybill worth more than £3 million.

Non-levy paying businesses will share the cost of training and assessment of their apprentices with the government; they will usually pay 10% towards the cost of apprenticeship training and the government will pay the rest (90% - although in some cases this may be 100%).

Apprenticeships are a cost effective way to introduce new skills and talent to your business. Apprentices must have a contract of employment and would normally be expected to work for a minimum 30 hours per week.

There is a national minimum wage for apprentices (currently £3.50/hour)

and then the national minimum wage applies dependent on the age of the apprentice.

Aside from the financial aspects, apprenticeships are an effective way of recruiting staff as well as supporting the upskilling of ...

Read more here

Construction Forum:

Summer BBQ

Businesses active in the construction sector are

welcome to join our quarterly forum, which this July includes a very special forum BBQ at Thornton Hall Hotel.

Barry Roberts, Northern MD, Morgan Sindall and Chair of the Construction Forum, will welcome businesses and provide an update on how Wirral Chamber has been supporting the sector over the last 12 months.

We will be joined by Jonathon Ashcroft of Muse Developments, the Wirral Growth Company’s preferred partner in Wirral’s £1billion regeneration plan together with Richard Mawdsley, Wirral Waters Director of Development , will update on its £200m of investment.

Barry Roberts said of the event, "This is going to be an opportunity to meet and network with like minded professionals within this fantastic industry. There are so many developments and

opportunities in Wirral, this is the ideal forum for us to support and raise the profile of local businesses involved in the construction industry.

Wirral Chamber’s, Strategic Partner YPG Developments are our proud sponsor.

Book Here

Watch the above video for more info and meet some great apprentices