Undergraduate Housing Welcome Guide - Page 4

Learn about your new home ing supplies. If assigned to Mercer Court, Stevens Court, Nordheim Court or Cedar Apartments, residents should bring kitchen implements and cleaning supplies. Visit the Bathroom Cleanliness Inspections webpage (rooms with private bathrooms) and the Apartments Cleanliness Inspections webpage for more information. You’ve just gotten your assignment and have lots of questions. You can start by taking a look at the webpage for your building. There you can take a virtual tour, view a floor plan, and get information about the furnishings included. Please visit our Where will I live? webpage for a link to your building page. What to bring and what not to bring We recommend that you coordinate with your roommate(s) so you do not bring duplicates of larger items. The less you bring, the more space you will have in your room. What appliances can I bring? The following appliances are examples of those allowed: • Refrigerators 4.4 cubic feet or less • Blenders and mixers • Hot-air popcorn poppers You should bring: • Rice cookers • Bedsheets (extra-long twin) • Pillows and pillowcases • Hot pots and coffee pots, which must be placed on noncombustible surfaces such as ceramic tile • Blankets and comforter • Enclosed coil grills (Panini sandwich-type) • Towels • One 700-watt maximum microwave oven per room (No other appliance may be used at the same time.) • Alarm clock • Ethernet cable • Study lamp (CFL or LED) • Cleaning supplies • West Campus residents should also bring bathroom clean- The following appliances are examples of prohibited items: • Halogen lamps • Space heaters • All open-flame appliances (e.g., fondue pots) • Open-coil appliances (e.g., toasters and toaster ovens) Paying for housing Quarterly statements are emailed about a month before you move in. You can pay online, by check or in person. • Full-size appliances or multiple appliances that exceed the usage limits of your room See the housing agreement for details of what is prohibited. Note: For the protection of your electrical appliances and equipment, it is recommended that only Underwriters Laboratories (UL)-approved power strips with built-in surge protectors or circuit breakers be used. Information about paying for housing can be found on our financial information webpage. Email communication You are responsible for reading information sent to your mailbox, posted on your room door and/or sent by electronic communication to your University of Washington (UW) email account by Housing & Food Services (HFS). HFS will send most correspondence to applicants and residents via their UW email accounts. Please note that if you forward your UW email to a different account, it may be filtered, refused or treated as spam. HFS is not responsible for emails not received. To ensure delivery of emails from HFS to your email inbox, add hfsinfo@hfs.washington.edu and wrproc@ hfs.washington.edu to your email address book or list of approved senders. Refrigerators and microwave ovens You may rent a small micro-fridge (microwave oven and refrigerator) from Collegiate Concepts, Inc. (CCI). Arrangements for payment and delivery may be made directly with CCI. Complete information is provided on their website. Alternatively, you may choose to bring your own refrigerator (4.4 cubic feet or less) or microwave oven (700 watt maximum). Linen Residence hall beds are extra-long, and XL twin sheets fit best. The Residential Community Student Association (RCSA) has partnered with Residence Hall Linens (RHL) to make sure our students have an easy, affordable way to purchase any bedding and campus living needs. Bedding items available through this program will also fit standard twin beds. Please visit RHL for more information and to place an order. 4 Discover Your Place at the University of Washington | Welcome Guide