Trusty Servant May 2019 No.127 - Page 7

No.127 The Trusty Servant took place in the early years of the 19th century under the direction of Revd G Coxe. By 1822 the whole structure of the church had been altered: galleries and the north arcade columns were removed to create the wide open nave with the curved plaster ceiling visible today. Windows were added on the north side and the chancel was extended, the main entrance was moved to the centre of the south wall and the font and pulpit were relocated. St Michael’s was at the beginning of a period of great change. ‘The East Prospect of the City of Winchester’ Samuel and Nathaniel Buck, 1736, London. Photograph by Seymour & Bainbridge Ltd by permission Kingsgate Books & Prints. are a number of 17th- & 18th-century wall monuments and an attractive 15th-century font. Inevitably, the early history of the church is harder to trace, but we have been fortunate to find a great deal of information on the background and development of Michlā from the 1800s onwards. This is primarily from the parish records held at Hampshire Record Office (HRO), but drawings have also emerged from such diverse sources as the Lambeth Palace Library, the V&A and RIBA drawings collections and the Getty Research Institute Library in Los Angeles. the render remain on the north-facing nave walls. A slightly later depiction of the church dating from the 1830s, together with a series of plans showing proposed internal alterations, both held in the HRO, record the significant changes which A second major phase of work was instigated in the late 19th century by Revd John William Marsh and continued by Revd Henry E Moberly who followed as Rector in 1883. The architect commissioned for the project was William Butterfield (1844- 1900), a gothic-revivalist architect renowned for his ecclesiastical buildings. Drawings held in the V&A show that Butterfield’s plans for the church were ambitious, involving an almost complete rebuild and leaving only part of the west tower untouched. The Getty The earliest image of the church found to date is in the 1736 engraving of Winchester by Samuel and Nathaniel Buck, where St Michael’s can be seen against the backdrop of open fields with the College buildings in the foreground. The College archives also revealed a delightful watercolour of the church viewed from the north-west dating from the 1820s. It is interesting to note that the church was once rendered and limewashed; elements of Watercolour of St Michael’s Church by G S Shepherd circa 1820. Winchester College archives. 7