The Source 2019 - Page 39

how & where Pets Property taxes Animal bites should be reported to the Ottumwa Police Department at (641) 684-0661. Ottumwa does not allow people to keep pets in such numbers or in such a manner that their presence shall disturb the peace and comfort of any neighborhood or cause a nuisance, unsanitary premises, a menace or detriment to public health; or the owner is unable or unwilling to provide proper care for the animals as required. Property taxes are collected by the Wapello County Treasurer. The office in the Wapello County Courthouse can be reached at (641) 683-0040. Taxes may be paid in two installments, or all at once. The first half is due by Sept. 1, with late interest accruing from Oct. 1. The second half is due by March 1, with interest accruing from April 1. Frequently asked questions are addressed at https:// php. Both dogs and cats must be vaccinated for rabies. Dogs must also be licensed through either a veterinary office or the city clerks office. American pit bull terriers, Staffordshire bull terriers and American Staffordshire bull terriers, or any animal that is partially of those breeds, are banned from city limits. Licenses for dogs that have been spayed or neutered are $5. The fee is $25 for animals that have not been fixed. Neglected or abused animals may be reported to the police at (641) 684-0661. Heartland Humane Society is located at 314 Fox and Sauk Road in Ottumwa. It is a no-kill shelter for dogs and cats. Shelter hours are 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, or by appointment. The shelter can be reached at (641) 682-1228. Plat books Plat books showing land ownership in Wapello County are kept in the Wapello County Auditors office in the county courthouse. Power service Alliant Energy serves Ottumwa customers. The company can be reached at 1-800-ALLIANT. MidAmerican Energy also serves portions of Wapello County. The company can be reached at 1-888-427-5632. Radio stations Ottumwa Radio operates six stations in Ottumwa: KISS (101.5 FM), KRKN (104.3 FM), KBIZ (1240 AM and 102.7 FM), KTWA (92.7 FM), KLEE (1480 AM and 107.7 AM) and TOM FM (97.7). The stations can be contacted at (641) 684-5563. Recycling The Ottumwa Recycling Center processes materials collected at curbside and accepts drop off of other items. Items not collected at the curb include used motor oil, antifreeze, car batteries, transmission fluid, used oil filters, textiles, hardback books and latex paint in amounts of 1/2 gallon or more. Household hazardous waste is accepted year-round by appointment. Call (641) 683- 0685 to schedule a drop off. The service is offered free of charge to residents of Davis and Wapello counties. Small businesses may be able to use the service, but should call to confirm requirements. Latex based paint is accepted without appointment. The center is not a redemption center. Deposit containers are accepted, but deposits are not returned at the center. The center is located at 2415 Emma St., Ottumwa. Yard waste Yard waste is collected at the curb between April 1 and Nov. 30 each year. Leaves, grass clippings, garden debris and small brush are collected in bags with the Ottumwa/Wapello logo, which are available for $1 each at local grocery stores. Brush and limbs must be bundled into 36-inch lengths. Limbs cannot exceed three inches in diameter and bundles cannot exceed 50 lbs. Yard waste is collected south of the river on Tuesdays and north of the river on Thursdays. Yard waste should be placed at the curb by 4 a.m. the day of pickup. Loads of yard waste can be dropped off at the landfill, 13277 165th Ave., free of charge. All loads going to the landfill must be covered. Leaves and grass clippings can be dropped off at the recycling center for disposal, but not other yard waste. Road conditions Winter road conditions can be checked online at http://511ia. org, or by calling 1-800-288- 1047. Snowmobile registration Information and registration for snowmobiles in Iowa are available online at http://www.iowadnr. gov/Things-to-Do/Snowmobiles/ Snowmobile-Registration. Transportation Charter air service is available from ArchAngel at the Ottumwa Regional Airport. ArchAngel can be reached at (641) 954-9200 or at their office in the airport terminal. Ottumwa Transit buses provide bus service in Ottumwa. Information on routes and specific services is available at http://www. transit/. 10-15 Transit provides services in the area outside Ottumwa. For information, call (641) 683-2024. Amtrak offers train service aboard the California Zephyr at the Ottumwa railway depot, 210 W. Main St. Information about schedules and services is at ContentServer?pagename=am/ am2Station/Station_ Page&code=OTM. Vehicle registration Vehicle registration is issued in Iowa by the Motor Vehicle Division of the Iowa Department of Transportation. Their Ottumwa office is located at 2849 North Court Rd., Suite B. The office‚ phone number is (641) 682-4855. Vehicular accidents Crashes between motor vehicles should be reported to the proper authorities. Failing to report a collision or leaving the scene before authorities arrive can result in legal charges. Voter registration Voter registration is handled at the Wapello County Auditors office. Registration can also be done at the polls on election day. The office can be reached at (641) 683-0020. The office maintains a map of polling places at http:// auditor/. Polling places and precincts can also be found through the Iowa Secretary of States website at voterreg/pollingplace/search.aspx. Wapello County Conservation The Wapello County Conservation Board was established in 1977. It manages 12 sites with a total of more than 2,000 acres. The sites offer a range of outdoor opportunities including hiking, bird watching, horseback riding, camping, hunting and fishing. Information about the conservation board and the sites it cares for is available at http:// The Source. 2019 39