Technical and Engineering v16 - Page 18

ENGINEER OFFICER ENGINEER OFFICER (COMMUNICATIONS/ELECTRONICS) Engineer Officers (Communications/ Electronics) are responsible for maintaining, and sometimes operating, essential communications links – tasks that are vital to the effectiveness of every single operation that the RAF carries out. As an Officer you will also be a manager in charge of a team of highly trained technicians and also likely be in charge of the RAF station’s IT budget early on in your career. A typical first tour would be to lead a Flight or section of technicians or specialists responsible for delivering the RAF’s IT and communications systems, and their supporting data networks. This may be on a main operating base or in a deployed environment, working to provide the support, operation and security of the diverse range of communications and information systems – all of which operate throughout the cyberspace environment and that are essential for 21st-century air operations. From here, typically after about two years you would potentially take on a larger Flight or section with increased responsibility, or possibly move into a more specialist role where we may look at you becoming a subject matter expert on a particular capability. As your career progresses you could look to specialise in a number of areas including defence intelligence, aircraft digital support, cyber security or direct support to overseas operations. TO FIND OUT MORE SEARCH: RAF ENGINEERING 18 ENTRY REQUIREMENTS AGE 17½ – 48 must have entered IOT before 48th birthday QUALIFICATIONS An accredited Bachelors or Masters degree in an appropriate engineering or scientific subject, eg: l  aeronautical engineering l I  T/IS engineering l  mechanical engineering l  electrical engineering l  electronic engineering l c  omputer science l  cyber security Degrees should be accredited by one or more of the four professional engineering institutions most closely aligned to the RAF’s needs: l  the Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS) l t  he Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) l  the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) l o  r the British Computer Society (BCS) Degree accreditation status can be determined via the Engineering Council (UK) website Other engineering degrees might be accepted at the discretion of the OASC Engineer Specialist. Applicants must also have a GCSE Grade C (Grade 4 to 5 with effect from Aug 17) or Scottish National Equivalent (SNE) Grade 5 in English Language. NATIONALITY You must be a citizen of the UK or the Republic of Ireland, holder of dual UK/other nationality or have been a Commonwealth citizen since birth.