Small Business Start-Up Kit - Page 22

Permit Information Restaurants, Taverns, Wineries, & Breweries Health Permits If your business is to involve food processing, handling, storage, or distribution, you must obtain permits from the State of Wisconsin. Licensing and Inspection The DATCP (Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection) licensing process is designed work like this: • Plan review conducted as required (building review, equipment review, and process review) • Submit license application and license fee • Schedule License inspection with Sanitarian • Onsite inspection of facility by Sanitarian Your facility should be ready for licensing prior to scheduling your official license inspection with the Food & Dairy Sanitarian. Your facility should be in compliance with any relevant codes and operators should have current licenses and certifications if needed. If your facility is determined to be not ready for licensing by the Sanitarian, the license fee will be forfeited and you will need to bring your facility into licensable condition and re-apply by sending in another license application and fee. E-mail questions to a Licensing Specialist at or call (608) 224-4923. Your Licensing Specialist will be able to answer your questions more specifically and will assist you through the licensing and inspection process. Once you have completed the licensing process and have been inspected, you will then be able to make food and sell to the general public. FDA Facility Registration: All food firms, with the exception of retail, must register with FDA, and reregister every two years. You may complete (re)registration online: GuidanceRegulation/FoodFacilityRegistration/default.htm You may also request paper forms by phone, at 1-800-216-7331 or 301-575-0156. Registration was first required by the Bioterrorism Act of 2002. Greater Area Tomah Chamber of Commerce Page | 22