Scale Aviator International Magazine Issue 3 - Page 93

This material lets you sheet, glass and finish in one process, saving a lot of time sanding and priming work. It is the closest representation of the real sheet metal finish of the full size aircraft without the extra weight. Here are some features right from the Fliteskin website: Flexible to go around curves (12mm radius for the .010”/.254mm sheet) 2 Superb tensile & compression strength characteristics. (35,000 PSI) Can be glued directly to open frame structures or foam cores. Fuel proof and weather proof. Can be primed and painted right away or used bare. Eliminates exposure to epoxy resin for those with allergies. 3 The sheeting is available in 36” X 48” rolls. (91cm X 120cm) The various thicknesses of the sheets are .007” (.178mm), .010” (.254mm), and .012” (.30mm). For this project, since it was a small aircraft with a 65” wingspan, I am using the .010” (.254mm) product. The first thing I did was to test various adhesives to see what works best. The choices are white glue, epoxy, thick CA, and spray on glues. I tried them all and found one I Liked a lot and to prove my point, I left the one wing I sheeted outside where it was sunny and warm in the daytime and chilly at night. Of course I was looking for shrinkage and warping as well as the material lifting. See the adhesives I tested in Photo #2. The next day and weeks after, the Fliteskin remained just as I originally applied it. Now it is time to tackle the little T6 and cover some wings. First let me show you what I started with. Your normal garden variety ARF covered with China 4 Kote or whatever they call this stuff. (Photo #3) Since the model had several wing dings on the underside from a wheels up landing on gravel. I had to repair several broken areas of balsa sheeting. This was a good opportunity to do the repairs and then use the Fliteskin sheeting to cover over it.. The left wing iunderside in Photo #4 is a good example of what we would be working with just prior to applying the Fliteskin sheeting. Once I had an edge to pull on, I carefully used the 93