Scale Aviator International Magazine Issue 3 - Page 19

23 24 but to add support for the entire canopy. Placing a piece of wax paper on the hatch the canopy was mounted in place. As soon as the epoxy kicked, yet still soft, I trimmed the excess off. Removing the canopy after the epoxy had cured the inside of was trimmed and sanded to shape. This made an incredibly strong and light frame for the canopy. After 19 flights the canopy is still in place and rigid, easily strong enough to survive flight loads and wind speed. There’s nothing like a dirty pass, flaps full, gear down, landing light down, cowl flaps and canopy open. With all that drag the airplane is still rock solid. Remote operation of the canopy was solved by using a retract servo and fashioning a servo arm extension that through the 180 degree arc provide the 3” of travel required. landed behind enemy lines due to a prop strike on a staffing run. Reading that gave me a new respect for fighter pilots that will stick with me forever. Not that I didn’t have a healthy respect already. For paint I used water based polyurethane from Warbird Colors. All the graphics and nomenclature were from Pro-Mark Graphics. The graphics are all 2mil vinyl and the nomenclature is dry transfer. I’ve used the vinyl from Pro-Mark in the past with great results. Being only 2 mils thick it conforms to the surface splendidly without hiding fine detail like rib stitching, panel lines and rivets. The photo below is the first base coat applied, painted like the original with a full green base coat and the grey camouflage painted over it. I really enjoy flying gas powered airplanes and decided on a DLE 55RA Rear Exhaust for this one. It fit nicely inside the cowl and should have plenty The color scheme I settled on is that of Gabby Ga- of power. Taking stock of normal flight controls and breski in full invasion colors. This was his last air- all the added features I mapped out the gear it was plane of the war and was short lived as he crash going to take. Photo #23 Here is what I came up with, an Airtronics SD10G, Smart-Fly Power System Eq6, Gear Door Sequencer and 19 servos. The basic flight controls took eight 94851 Digital Hi-Power BB MG Servos, two 94702 Digital Standard Servos for throttle and choke, six 94809 Micro Digital Hi-Performance BB MG Servos for light duty items and one retract servo will make it all happen. Using the Smart-Fly and the Gear Door Sequencer was the best solution to get a 10 channel radio to control 12 separate functions. Photo #24 & 25 25 The Gear Door Sequencer works off the retract 19