Sacred Places Spring 2013 - Page 12

UPDATE on Partners: Arts in Sacred Places (continued) Karen DiLossi (second person to the right of the woman standing), Director of Partners’ Arts in Sacred Places program, attended the Association of Performing Arts Service Organizations’ (APASO) national conference this past spring in an effort to connect Partners with arts-service organizations from across the country. Photo courtesy 2013 APASO Conference. Photo credit: Katrina Ohstrom. Works, and 1812 Productions; students from Philadelphia University’s preservation program; Ken Sebra and Mary Ann Duffy from Duffy Sebra Architecture; Father Francis Cauterucci of OLMC; and designers, technicians, and theatre professionals from the Philadelphia region. 1812 Productions will use 25% of the space, with the Design Center occupying the remaining 75%. Discussion focused on the features necessary to make the space useful and ideas for how best to organize the myriad classrooms and other available areas, including the full basement. The charrette brought the project to life for all participants, generating a palpable excitement over the many possibilities afforded by this location. Afterward, Partners and Culture Works reached out to arts constituencies with a survey asking many of the questions raised at the charrette, which generated another round of insightful comments and ideas. 11 • Sacred Places • www.sacredplaces.org • Spring 2013 We will spend the next months working on a business model and beginning the physical work that will transform the site, instilling it with new vitality. Several groups, including 1812 Productions, have even expressed interest in teaching classes there, keeping the spirit of education alive as this late-1890s school building takes on a 21st-century purpose. AiSP Texas Arts in Sacred Places continues to take shape in Texas as Partners explores opportunities to bring the program to Fort Worth, Austin, and Houston, customizing the program in each city to make sure that Partners is providing the optimum level of services to both the arts and faith communities. Partners’ Fort Worth staff is guiding efforts there, as we partner with the Austin Creative Alliance in an effort to get the program up and running in the state capital.