Parker County Today November 2017 - Page 34

F-Troop Marker Dedication, Mineral Wells, TX, October 14, 1972 32 the elimination of most of the enemy opposition.”

 At Camp Wolters in June, on the 25th day, a general presented the Medal to Lieutenant Knight’s father, Roy Knight. Jack is buried in a ceme- tery named for his great-grandfather, Holders Memorial Chapel Cemetery near Cool, not far from where he played as a boy and grew into the man whose selfless sense of duty exacted the ultimate sacrifice.

 ADELL
 Alexander Sanger thought his daughter the prettiest gal in late 19th-century Dallas; we’re talking 1890. Likely because of his status as a ”Big D” merchant — he owned the Sanger Mercantile Company in Dallas — his pretty girl was the namesake of a pretty little community here in Parker County: Adell.

 Settlement of the site, now dissected by Farm Road 1885 some 12 miles northwest of Weatherford, began after the harrowing days of Indian attacks which ended in the 1870s after “Bad Hand” Mackenzie (Gen. Ranald Slidell Mackenzie) broke the back of indigenous resis- tance, forcing Comanches, Kiowas and others to walk the “White Man’s Road.” By the late 1880s, Native Americans were well into their “new life” and for the most part bitterly disappointed by its stark realities.

 Seeking arable land and adequate acreage for ranching, white settlers trickled into the Adell vicinity in the late 1880s, J.R. Fondren among them. In 1889, Fondren founded the first business, a grocery store. Pretty Adell came into the picture the next year when Bentley B. Barton arrived from Denton County and figured there were enough folks scattered about to petition the government for a post office. As the story goes (at least one of them), Barton knew Sanger, who suggested the name Adell. With the Postal Service finding no fault with the name, in 1890 mail service began with Barton as postmaster and contin- ued through May 14, 1904, when the government, that entity which can both “giveth and taketh away,” decided it inexpedient to deliver mail to the small community and diverted it to the office at nearby Garner. Barton held the postal post four years. When the office closed, Orvil P.