Parker County Today May 2018 - Page 24

our history: THE CITY OF AGNES Little Agnes ‘Wide spot in the road’ has a ‘boogerman’ past By MEL W RHODES T he scattered community of Agnes in far north- central Parker County along Highway 199, running west from the Metroplex, occupies a spot once used often by reservation Indians slipping south of the Red River on nefarious forays into white settlements. According to local author Doyle Marshall: “There was a pass in the hills where Agnes is now and they would come through there, usually early in the night, go on south towards Weatherford [some 18 miles distant], kill and rob settlers if they had an opportunity, steal horses and then turn back along another tail towards Jacksboro. By daylight they would be so far away that it was usually impossible for settlers to catch them.”  Anglos settled the area known as Agnes in the late 1870s after the “Indian Menace” had largely ended. But before this, in the ‘60s, settlers fleeing fierce Indian raids in Jack County to the northwest made a mass exodus to Northern Parker County. But the move did not end the violence, which merely shifted with the settlers’ migration. The follow- ing frontier story of the Agnes area is related in Marshall’s book: “In the spring of 1865, James and Cynthia (McKinney), with their six-year-old daughter, three-year-old son, Joe, and an infant, traveled by ox-drawn wagons to Springtown … to mill their grain and visit relatives. On their return trip, the family was seen at noon about two miles east of the present sight of Agnes, at a spring known as ‘Jenkins Water,’ where McKinney watered his oxen and filled his water kegs before continuing in a westerly direction toward the Brisco home.” The young family never reached the Brisco place, home of Cynthia’s father, Issac Brisco. It was not until the next day that family learned of their ghastly fate. “On the following day, two local settlers hunting for cattle in the vicin- ity of the Issac Brisco home came upon some tiny footprints in the sand. Following a discussion as to whether the footprints were those of a small child or a large raccoon, the men followed the tracks. Shortly they were surprised when a small voice called from the brush, ‘Papa! Papa!’ TEXAS BUTANE CO., INC. Morris & Judy V. (Kemp) White South Side Square • 103 W. Church • Weatherford, Texas 76086 2 6 1 2 8 1 7 - 5 9 6 8 7 5 8 “LOCALLY OWNED & FAMILY OPERATED” We are proud to be the oldest continuously family owned propane company in the Area! 22 8 1 7 - 5 9 4 Metro Phone: Local Phone: Propane Sales & Service Since 1958 23