Parker County Today March 2018 - Page 43

our advice: ASK DR. CATE Vet Rap by Dr. Ryan Cate Household Items Pets Should Be Careful Around By DR. RYAN CATE and MELISSA MOORMAN QUESTION: Dear Dr. Cate: I heard that you can’t give your dog chocolate and some common house plants are poison- ous. What else should I be careful of with my dog and cats in my home to keep them safe? particularly good for humans, but they can be toxic to your animal — specifically, your pet’s pancreas. Too much fried or fatty food can cause enzymes that can harm the intestines, which can be life-threatening. ANSWER: It’s true that chocolate is toxic to dogs, but there are other foods and items that you might have around your home that will cause an emergency trip to the vet. The FDA has periodic information on its website about specific foods or treats, but these are foods in particular that can make your animal sick. One of the reasons that dogs can be poisoned by foods that we eat every day is that dogs react differently to diet varia- tion than we do. Feeding them the same dog food each day is the best way to keep them healthy because their food is specifically formulated to meet all of their dietary needs. Adding any human food can make your animals react negatively and it seems to affect small animals more so than large ones. Here are the foods and household items that you should keep away from your furry friends: Grapes: Common grapes are toxic to dogs and can cause acute kidney fail- ure. Raisins and currents are even more poisonous because they are dried and the compounds inside the fruit are more concentrated. Even one grape or raisin can make your animal sick. Fried or Fatty foods: They aren’t Salty Snacks: Excess salt can cause sodium ion poisoning and while one chip probably won’t hurt them, a whole bag can. Symptoms include depression, diar- rhea, high fever, excessive thirst, kidney damage, seizures, and vomiting. If your dog has gotten into the chip bowl, give it plenty of water immediately. Xylitol: This is being added as a sugar substitute to baked goods, candies and toothpaste. The sweetener can affect your dog’s insulin level and cause it to decrease to a dangerous level. If ingested, it can cause vomiting, fainting, seizures, staggering and weakness. Chocolate, coffee and caffeine: These foods contain a chemical compound called methylxanthine. Dark chocolate contains more than white chocolate, but dogs should avoid anything that has this compound contained in it, including all Detergents and Insecticides: Our pets should not try the detergent pod challenge, either. Bleach, detergent, and all types of bug sprays, windshield washer fluid, and antifreeze are toxic, poisonous and can lead to the untimely death of your pet. Our animals are curious, so keep all of these items locked away from them. House plants: Many house and garden plants are toxic to animals. Some of these include aloe vera, tiger lilies, amaryllis, azaleas, baby’s breath, carnations, tulips, sago palms and yew. Some of these also appear in cut flower bouquets, so be careful to keep these away from your pets as well. Most of these cautions are for dog owners. Although cats can be affected, they are pickier in what they eat and less likely to eat any of the above foods or household items. If you think your pet has been poisoned by any of the above foods or is acting strangely, first take away what they are eating, then call your veterinarian. If you can’t reach your doctor, you can call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at   M M K[YY\[Y܈\›[ۈ] ۸&]YY][\[[X[˂[[[H\Hو] XZH\H]\X[Y[H\Y[\[[X[˜[&]]] ]YX][H[&]X]]YX] [Z]\[[\ˈ][B[XY]KH܈[[ۙ[H[[X[H[XYH[\]8&\Y\]H\[K[[H[]\]H[[\] ][]\HZ][X\BXKXܙX\Yܙ[][ۋYX[BX][[][[[K[\ۚ[[\[X]]\&\܈Z\&\YX\ ۙHوHXZ[[ܙYY[[Y\Y[H\HHYKB]\XZH\H[Y\\H[ܙKBY[]وXXو[\] [][\Έ\[Y\ۚ[ۜ\X˜[]\\[\[H]\BX\ۙY][K\H[]\B[[]X[[ZXKX[[XYB[[[X[8&\Y[ˈH\B[\܈\X[ۚ[ۈ\\[ [\\[YH]YYK\\B\[H[\[\ܚY[][ۋYB\X\H\[Yܙ\][]\B\[Y\[K][XH[Z][˂XXY[ZXH]ΰ]ۙ\[Y\Z\]]^HH][[\[[XXY[ZXH][\X[\^H\B\HX܈˂ܛ\و]H[ٙYK][]\HZ][[X\XK[[^\]H\[\[][ۋ\\XB]]KXܛX[X\]K[[ܜZ^\\[XHX]