Parker County Today December 2017 - Page 32

our history: PC GHOST TOWNS (Part 8) Places of Parker County Past BY MEL W RHODES Millsap on the Wild Frontier 30 A Running Fight A bout 15 miles west of Weatherford along well-used train tracks stands a town steeped in frontier history. The Millsap area saw quite a bit of action during Indian times, back when white settlers were just getting a toehold in a wild place traversed by Native Americans given to nomadic life.

 Originally a way station on a stage line running west from Weatherford to Palo Pinto, Millsap took its name from early settler Fuller Millsaps, who came to Texas in 1849 and moved to Parker County in 1856. The county was young then, having been carved from Navarro and Bosque counties the year before.

 A man of consider- able resolve, Millsaps never shielded from defending his home and family. On March 2, 1866, a band of 30-some-odd warriors, three women among them, showed up at the Millsaps cabin on Rock Creek near the Parker- Palo Pinto County li