Our Maine Street's Aroostook Issue 5 : Summer 2010 - Page 42

Deboullie Unit T15 R9 by Vernon M. Labbe, Lands Regional Manager The 21,871-acre Deboullie Unit is managed by the Bureau of Parks & Lands, Lands Division, Northern Region. This is an area of exceptional beauty, encompassing steep mountains, crystal clear ponds, rare and unusual plants, exceptional fisheries, and four-season recreational opportunities. The name Deboullie is an adaptation of the French word debouler, which means to tumble down – referring to the talus fields (rock slides) at the base of several mountains. These mountains were slated to become part of the 1960’s proposed Dickey-Lincoln Hydroelectric Dam project. The Unit is located southwest of Fort Kent and northwest of Portage. The property is within the North Maine Woods system. Prior to 1975 the State of Maine held 1,000 acres of unlocated interest in the township. These publicly held “original reservation” acres were established in the late 1700’s and early 1800’s when much of the state was surveyed in preparation for future land sales. Approximately 1,000 acres in each township were held as “school” and “ministry” lots in anticipation of future settlements. In 1975 the then Bureau of Public Lands acquired Great Northern Nekoosa Corporation’s 14,099-acre interest in the township as part of a larger land trade involving other properties in the state. Two similar trades in 1984 and 1985 with Pingree Heirs and with Prentiss & Carlisle completed the State’s current ownership. Most of the township consists of a healthy and productive forest, with timber harvesting recorded as far back as the mid-1800’s. Between 1910 and 1920 two mills were constructed on the township. A dam was constructed on Pushineer Pond to facilitate log drives down Red River. The extensive timber harvests in the 1950’s-1960’s established most of the current road system on the Unit. 40 Deboullie Unit SUMMER 2010 Red River Camps, a private commercial s