While essential oils cannot cause allergic reactions, they can still cause sensitivity reactions in some people because we each have different sensitivity threshold levels. When sensitivity to an essential oil occurs, it can create symptoms that are similar to an allergic reaction. How will I know if I am sensitive to a particular oil? Sensitivity to an essential oil can cause responses in the skin, digestive system, respiratory system, and other areas of the body. Some of the signs of an essential oil sensitivity include pain, swelling, or tenderness in the skin, skin irritation, difficulty breathing, and stomach upset. How to handle essential oil sensitivity If you develop a sensitivity to an essential oil, you can easily manage your essential oil application to avoid sensitivity or discomfort. Since sensitivity to an essential oil is not the same as an allergic reaction, you may still be able to use that essential oil with a different form of application. For example, if you experience sensitivity after using an essential oil internally, you may still be able to use that oil aromatically or topically. Essential oil sensitivity can also be caused by dosage. If you’ve carrier experienced sensitivity with a particular essential oil in the past, you can try diluting the oil, or simply take a smaller dose to see if the sensitivity was 100% pure caused by a high dosage of the oil. If you ever experience a sensitivity reaction to essential oils in the digestive system, it is important to immediately discontinue use of that oil. If a large amount of oil was consumed, contact poison control immediately. If only a small amount of the oil was consumed, you can help subside the sensitivity by drinking plenty of fluids. If the reaction becomes prolonged or severe, it is always wise to seek medical attention. Toxicity Essential oils are completely safe to use internally, as long as the appropriate dosage is observed. In the most extreme cases, exceeding dosage recommendations for oils can lead to toxicity. Toxicity is when a substance reaches a point that it becomes harmful or damaging to the body. Any substance (even natural, seemingly harmless substances) can become toxic if used in an inappropriate dose. Although essential oils have a potential for toxicity when used in incorrect dosages (just as water, minerals, vitamins, and other substances do), the toxic dose of an essential oil is always far above the recommended dosage. An individual would have to far exceed the dosage recommendations for an essential oil to put themselves within the dangerous range of toxicity.