Ohio Farm Bureau Landowner Toolkit - Page 5

Open Burning Both the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) have regulations concerning open burning in the state. What does the EPA consider as “Open Burning”? Open burning is the burning of any materials where contaminants resulting from combustion are released into the open air without passing through a stack or chimney.1 Depending on what you are burning and where you are located, EPA permission may be required before burning. unrestricted area is any area outside of the restricted areas described above.5 What is considered agricultural waste? Agricultural waste includes any area inside the corporation limits of a municipality.2 In addition, if the municipality is between 1,000-10,000 citizens, the restricted area extends 1,000 feet beyond the municipality’s boundary.3 If the municipality has more than 10,000 citizens, the restricted area extends 1 mile past the municipality’s boundaries.4 An any waste material generated by crop, horticultural or livestock production practices and includes woody debris or plant material from stream flooding, bags, cartons, structural materials and landscape wastes that are generated in agricultural activities.6 Agricultural waste does not include land clearing waste, buildings (including dismantled or fallen barns), garbage, dead animals, animal waste, motor vehicles and motor vehicle parts.7 Pesticides, such as fungicides, rodenticides, and herbicides are also not considered agricultural waste unless the manufacturer has provided burning is a safe disposal method.8 For 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 What is the difference between a restricted and unrestricted area? A restricted area consists of OAC 3745-19-01(K) OAC 3745-19-01(M)(1) OAC 3745-19-01(M)(1) OAC 3757-19-01(M)(1) 1 OAC 3745-19-01(N) OAC 3745-19-01(A) OAC 3745-19-01(A) OAC 3745-19-01(A)