Network Communications News (NCN) September 2016 - Page 35

ADVERTISEMENT Eliminating Testing Time Wasters Reducing the time taken to certify cable links to just seconds with the new generation of testers such as the Fluke Networks Versiv has been widely reported. However, astute business owners are recognising that extended opportunities for further efficiency gains and improved profit margins can be realised from test-related processes. Fluke Networks recently conducted a survey of network cable installers to understand how much time was spent completing testing and administration tasks. The results yielded some surprises – In one survey Fluke Networks report that as little as 63% of an installers time was spent installing cabling. The remaining 37% was spent on project time associated with testing related tasks, reporting, re-working and troubleshooting. This non-installation part of the job was an opportunity to reduce cost by expanding the capabilities of test systems. By resolving these testing process issues, companies improved profitability by as much as 10%! New testers are designed with a holistic view of the process; from design through to acceptance, with a project based approach. It is at planning stage and tester set up where savings start. Previous generations of testers didn’t facilitate this aspect very well. Consequently, productivity was reduced due to test set up errors, causing unnecessary return visits and re-testing. Indeed research has shown that over 90% of contractors have had set up, testing & reporting issues. More than 800 installers worldwide were questioned and almost half reported having to retest links because the wrong limits were set. One of the main culprits was negative fibre loss readings due to improper reference set-up. New generation testers can help eliminate errors by leading the operator through the set-up process and checking it. When test parameters can be set up in one central point and transmitted using the cloud, it saves time and reduces errors. These errors have a habit of going undetected until systems acceptance, causing rework (lost profit) or worse still reputational damage and opportunity cost. Getting it right at the front end of the project pays back big dividends at the end. Most data installers work on multiple jobs simultaneously, operating fleets of testers. Typically installers move from floor to floor, job to job, waiting on other construction disciplines. Fluke Networks reported that 70% of installers move a tester from job to job and back every month! Most project Networks Centre Advertorial.indd 35 managers reported being stretched too thin – chasing testers around, making sure they are set up properly can be a headache. When it’s all put into context the central control approach is compelling. The ProjXTM feature on the Fluke Networks Versiv enables test parameters to be set in advance on multiple testers and locations, integrating with Linkware Live. Upload of results wirelessly without costly return trips to the office adds to the savings. Faster testing will mean the tester memory will fill up quicker but memory capacity is no longer an issue. Up to 12,000 CAT6A results with plots can be stored on the Versiv compared to 250 on the Fluke Networks DTX. In summary, when comparing standard to advanced testers on an average 1000-link job, the cumulative time saved is 13 hours. This represents a 65% productivity gain. At Networks Centre, a Fluke Networks partner, we have seen a strong uptake of Versiv by the UK’s largest installers with fleets of testers. This is trickling down to the mid-tier companies as installers appreciate the hidden benefits of the Versiv. For further details see the white paper ‘How to Increase Profits in Cable Installations? Save Time’. NetworksCentre. Tel: 01403 754 233 Fax: 01403 750 663 Email: enquiries@networkscentre.com Web: www.networkscentre.com 31/08/2016 12:16