Marin Arts & Culture May 2017 - Page 41

The ferry’s name refers to the earlier spelling of Sausalito, which was taken from the original Mexican land grant named “Rancho Saucelito.” The Saucelito ferryboat was manufactured on the East Coast and shipped in pieces by rail to the San Francisco Bay where it was assembled. Through research, the museum staff discovered that the Saucelito was built alongside her sister, the San Rafael, by Benjamin C. Terry of Keyport, New Jersey beginning in 1870. These ferries were the only two ferries to reach the West Coast in this manner. Bard also created a portrait of the San Rafael, which now resides in a private collection. It is not known if James Bard travelled to the Bay Area to paint the two ferries once they were assembled. Records indicate he travelled infrequently due to his modest means, which suggests he may have painted the ferries while they were still in pieces in the shipyards. Unfortunately, the Saucelito was short-lived—it burned on February 24, 1884 while docked at the San Quentin wharf. A second Sausalito ferry was built 12 years later for the North Pacific Coast Railroad and was designed to carry narrow gauge railroad cars in addition to passengers. Ferry Painting Restored The Saucelito painting was fully conserved in 2009 thanks to a $3,000 federal grant to the Marin History Museum from the prestigious Institute of Museum and Library Services. Sebastopol-based conservator Antoinette Dwan successfully returned the painting to its original beauty, despite the delicate and compromised condition of the paper. The museum’s painting is the only known color image of the ferry in existence, so Dwan’s efforts not only restored a beautiful painting but also brought a previously little- known image to the attention of the maritime community. Previous Condition of the Painting As stated in Dwan’s notes: “The painting was disfigured by staining, [was] distorted, and [was] attached to a poor quality mount. The painting was also framed touching the glass on the front and hiding the edges and signature. The painting has been poorly lined with a backing paper that distorts [it].” With so many complicating factor s, and all the difficulties associated with each one, Dwan needed to apply her conservation efforts carefully and at a measured pace. The result is a stunning example of maritime art and a rare glimpse at a beauty that sailed the San Francisco Bay for only seven years. MC&A The Marin History Museum is located at 45 Leveroni Court, Novato; 415.382.1182; marinhistory.org Cole Porter In Paris, The Lost Songs A documentary showing the re-creation of a musical review, La Revue des Ambassadeurs, first premiering in Paris in 1928 and performed for the 2 nd time in the United States in Marin on June 3 rd , 2014 to a sold out audience at the Marin Center. Come backstage with us! Featuring local artists, Noah Griffin, Grammy nominated Desiree Goyette-Bogas, Deborah Winters, Patrick Leveque, Amanda King and others. This performance benefits The Cole Porter Society, bringing the Great American Songbook to kids through the genius of Cole Porter Sunday, June 4 4PM Lark Theater 549 Magnolia Ave. Larkspur $20 To sign up, email Noah Griffin at noah@ thecoleportersociety.org MARIN ARTS & CULTURE 41