Madison Life and Times Spring 2016 - Page 31

LOCAL HISTORY 1890 great opportunity. One of the better slopes was known as Beachler Hills. The farm was owned by Al Beachler, who taught school during his career in two area buildings: Whittinger and Moss. The popular teacher welcomed his former students to slide on the farm hills. Today, these hills are part of Grandview Golf Course. Outside the corporation limits in the 1890s and west of the city, a ridge extended westward along present-day 11th Street, beginning at Locust Street and extending past Atwood Drive in Malibu Heights. It sloped ed toward the north and inn some placp es reached what is now w Ninth Street. Before ore r 1900, much of this his area was pasture land lan andd with little or no brush in some areas, rea eas, ea s s, which made for excellent sledding. g. Directly north off the the old Fairgrounds Ford, ord rd, which was immediately iat atel elyy west of the Madison onn Avenue Aven enue u Bridge, sat anotherr fine fine n group gro roup up ooff hills. Those hills today Anderson odday are are iinn An Ande ders rson on Country Club Heights. htss About one mile east of there was oone ne of the best sledding sites in the city. It was known as the Sparks Farm. The he wooded hills eventually became a ccity itityy park in 1923, known officially ass Shadyside Memorial Park. Another popular site was located east of Cincinnati Avenue between Prospect Street and Miller Avenue. Area residents called it Half Mountain. To get to the hill from Cincinnati Avenue, kids used a littleknown path, called Rocky Lane, that ended at Miller Avenue. Finally, before automobiles, the large hill on Jackson Street provided children an extra long sled ride. ❚ Madison County Historian Stephen T. Jackson is a frequent contributor to Madison and The Herald Bulletin. MADISON 31