Life University International Student Handbook - Page 8

Employment for F-1 Students There are four ways that F-1 students can be employed. On-Campus employment: Students are allowed to work on campus from the time they register. Employment on campus must be limited to 20 hours per week when classes are in session, but can be full-time during vacations. For on-campus employment, you will not need approval from any external government agency. If you have any doubts about what is considered on-campus employment, consult the Coordinator of International Programs. Off-Campus employment: To be eligible to work off campus, an F-1 student must have been enrolled at Life University for an entire academic year. Off-campus employment must be authorized by USCIS and recommended by the Coordinator of International Programs or DSO. Types of off-campus employment include: • Optional Practical Training: This is employment after graduation. (Post completion OPT) Employment that is directly related to your field of study and is limited to a maximum of 12 months of full-time employment. Application is made to the USCIS. • Severe Economic Hardship: Employment due to unforeseen and severe economic difficulties that arose after initial enrollment at Life University. Circumstances may include substantial changes in the value of the home country’s currency, unexpected financial difficulties of your sponsor, or unexpected medical bills. Application is made to the USCIS. • Employment with an International Organization: Employment with a recognized international organization, such as the United Nations or the World Bank. These international organizations are authorized to hire their own nationals to work in their offices in the United States. Reinstatement to F-1 Student Status F-1 students can fall out of status with INS in several ways. These include dropping below a full course of study, working without authorization or more than the weekly limit, allowing their I-20 date to expire, or failing to follow transfer procedures from one school to another. When out of status, the student will no longer be eligible for benefits such as practical training, on-campus employment, or transferring to another school. In order to get back in status with INS, the student can apply for reinstatement with the INS. An application is sent into the district office of the INS where an officer will decide whether or not to reinstate the student. The officer is looking for circumstances beyond the student’s control and that there was no illegal employment. Reinstatement is a lengthy and expensive process with some risk involved. While a majority of students are reinstated, a few are not, and must return home immediately. The application for reinstatement must contain the following items: Letter of Explanation • Explain exactly what happened to cause you to fall out of status. Provide details and be as truthful as possible. Were these circumstances beyond your control? • You may put “Dear Immigration Officer” at the top. • If possible, state in the letter that you “have not worked without authorization.” • Attach any additional proof necessary. Original I-94 Form • This will be returned to you with the decision. New Financial Documents • They must be less than a year old. I-539 Form (available from DOS office) Check or money order for $380.00 • Make it out to USCIS New I-20 for reinstatement • DSO will prepare this for you. Copy of old I-20 and Visa page/Bio page of passport Transcripts —6—