Lanzarote Grapevine Issue 2 - Page 75

Issue 2 | The Lanzarote Grapevine 2014 One of the BIG questions asked by people moving to Spain from the UK is ‘Can I use the Spanish NHS?’ The answer is, it depends….. The general information which follows will also apply to other EU citizens moving to Spain, although I’ll be referring specifically to how it works for a UK citizen. Possibly the most important thing to remember is that if you are living in Spain, you cannot legitimately use your UK issued EHIC to access healthcare here. It is for holidaymakers only. Access to the state healthcare system isn’t residence based, as it is in the UK. It’s contribution based. Which means that you can’t access state healthcare just because you live here; you have to pay for it by making contributions into the system. Once you are registered as resident you get the S1 form(s) validated at the INSS (Instituto Nacional de la Seguridad Social – Social security office) & they issue a Social Security number. Take that, (along with all the other bits of paper you’ll find you need all the time: padrón, resident cert/ card, passport & not forgetting photocopies) to the local centro de salud & you’ll be issued with a tarjeta sanitaria. But what if you’re not in receipt of a state pension? If you were a registered resident of Spain, & fiscally resident before 24th April 2012, then you can access state healthcare for free, as long as your annual income is under 100,000 €. This will be sent to your address in Spain. If you aren’t already using the healthcare system you need to get in touch with the DWP in Newcastle & tell them that you live in Spain & that you need a ‘legislation letter’. You need one for each member of the family. This letter informs Spain that you have no healthcare provision in the UK. You then take that & all the usual bits of paper plus form TA1 (which you can download) to the INSS ….you’ll be issued with a SS number…..and then you head to the centro de salud – again with the usual papers, & you’ll get a tarjeta sanitaria. Not only is the person who receives the pension covered, but spouses & children are also, so make sure that you make it clear to the DWP as to how many of you need to be covered – they will need to be named. In some circumstances the UK will issue S1s to the family members of someone working in the UK & financially supporting that family which lives in Spain. Contact the DWP to see if you qualify. So… how does that work? Many people who move to Spain will move here to retire. If you’re in receipt of a state pension, then the UK will fund your healthcare in Spain by way of an S1 form, which you should apply for from the DWP in Newcastle when you are about to leave the UK. HEALTHCARE IN SPAIN UPDATED One of the BIG questions asked by people moving to Spain from the UK is ‘Can I use the Spanish NHS?’ The answer is, it depends….. by Lynn Cobb