what is communicated both across organizations and with the community at large . I believe the community should have more opportunities to hear an increased amount of information about items that affect their daily lives . As a director , I would advocate the use of strategies like increased public meetings and opportunities for community members to be involved in KICA , improving both the use of technology and other vehicles for relaying information , as well as the content of information to be shared .
• Family : Spouse - David , Children - Jennifer ( Spouse - Christopher ) and Kristen ( Spouse - Thomas ), Grandchildren - Rowen and Poppy .
• History of Kiawah Property Ownership : Owner , Night Heron Cottage from 2011-13 , 525 Bufflehead Drive from 2013-Present . Full-time resident since June 2014 .
• Hobbies : Reading , Decorating , Cooking , Being Involved in the Community
• Fairfax-Falls Church Community Services Board , 36 Years in a Variety of Positions of Increasing Responsibility .
• Pumphrey Consulting , LLC , Three Years
Education / Certifications / Military
• Bachelor of Science , Psychology / Sociology , Juanita College
• Master of Arts , Clinical Psychology , George Mason University
• Licensed Professional Counselor in Virginia
• Certifications in : Distance Counseling , Facilitation , Project Management , Health Information Exchange
Other Experience / Volunteerism
• Kiawah Island Turtle Patrol , Two Years
• Kiawah Dinner Group ( Formerly Dinner for Eight ), Twoand-a-half Years
• POPS Progressive Dinner , One Year
• City of Fairfax , VA Boards and Commissions -Planning Commission , Member and Chair , Nine Years -Economic Development Authority , Two Years -School Board , Two Years -Commission for Women , Member and Chair , Five Years -Elementary School Task Force , Facilitator , Two Years
• Virginia Governor ’ s Health Information Technology Advisory Commission , Board Member , One Year
• Virginia Statewide HIE-CONNECT VA , Board Member , Two Years
• NOVA RHIO Board of Directors , Member and Vice Chair for Strategic Planning , Three Years
• Virginia Association of Community Services Board Data Management Committee , Member and Chair , Nine Years
• Southeast Fairfax Community Association , Member and President , Three Years
• Fairfax Police Youth Club , Board Member and Girl ’ s Basketball League Director , Four Years
I have over 35 years of experience working with a large multi-million dollar organization that provides services to individuals with mental health , developmental and intellectual disabilities , and substance use disorders outside of Washington D . C . During my clinical career I worked as a forensic psychologist , directed an adolescent day treatment program for youth with co- occurring substance use and serious emotional disturbance , and served as director of quality assurance for Mental Health Services . For the last 10 years of my public service I was the informatics director and security officer , overseeing the management and implementation of the agency electronic health records , data analysis and dashboard development . I held leadership positions in state and local initiatives related to EHR implementation , Health Information Exchange ( HIE ), and data management . I chaired the State Data Management Committee and served as vice chair in charge of strategic planning for the NOVA RHIO ( Regional Health Information Organization ) board . I was appointed to the Virginia Governor ’ s Health IT Advisory Commission that developed the strategy for statewide HIE , and served on the Governing Board of Connect Virginia , Virginia ’ s HIE . After retirement I established a consulting company specializing in health informatics , strategic planning and facilitation .
Concurrent with my professional career , I used my strategic planning and facilitation skills with community groups and local government on issues related to planning and community development . I served on numerous boards and commissions for more than 30 years in the City of Fairfax , VA . I was a member and chair of the Planning Commission for nine years , and utilized my leadership on the Economic Development Authority . In addition , I served as a member and chaired the Commission for Women , and was appointed to the school board . I was selected to facilitate a multi-year long community process for consolidation of the city schools , and participated in the development and review of the city comprehensive plan . I helped organize and chaired my local community association , developing communication processes and strategic direction . I also worked with Historic Fairfax Inc . and several other nonprofit organizations to develop their strategic plans .
In both my professional and volunteer experiences I have worked within teams and the community , acting as an advocate and consensus builder . I am a good listener , able to take ideas , integrate and develop them , and put them into action . I have held many senior leadership positions , and used my skills to mentor others and inspire their work . One of my personal goals will be to encourage others to get more involved with the community through informal mentoring .
I have had many different living arrangements on Kiawah , from villa and house renting vacationer for over 20 years , to villa owner under a regime , to homeowner . My involvement in the dinner groups , fitness classes , and Turtle Patrol has provided a broad and diverse group of social contacts , the breath of which would be beneficial to my effectiveness as a director .