I have an extreme love and appreciation for Kiawah Island and how it blends development with conservation . My keen sense of listening to others enables me to build on their ideas , finding the best plan . I draw from creativity that originates from my diverse background for finding solutions and resolving the toughest issues at hand with an amiable plan .
• Family : Spouse - Sallie , Son – Bentley , Daughter - Madison
• History of Kiawah Property Ownership : Purchased 96 Belmeade Hall Road in Inlet Cove in 1982 . Part-time resident , visiting the island 12-15 times per year .
• Corporate VP - Channel Development , Penford Corporation
• CEO / Member Owners , Carolina Starches LLC and Keystone Starches , LLC
• Supply Chain Director of North America Industrial Division , Avebe America , Inc .
Education / Certifications / Military
• Bachelor of Science , Business Administration , The Baptist College ( Currently Charleston Southern University )
• Master of Business Administration , The Citadel
Other Experience / Volunteerism
• Dorchester County Tax Appeals Board , 2010-Present , Chair Since 2012
• Lowcountry Manufacturers Council , 2003-15 , Chair 2014-15
• South Carolina Manufacturers Association Board , 2014-15
• Prince Edward Island Potato Board , Potato Starch Advisor 2014-Present
• Pinewood Prep School , Head Varsity Wrestling Coach , 2012-15 ( Volunteer )
As a business owner and leader , I have assisted in making many difficult decisions for the betterment of all involved . In doing this , we obtained agreement and kept a positive focus so as to always move forward . In times of need , I have the ability to lead at all levels ; as well as be an active participant on the team . I had two equal partners at Carolina Starches ; we managed and had profitability for all eight years of operations ( even during the recession ) and much like a board of directors , we had a very positive and congenial relationship built upon mutual respect .
My international experience has given me the ability to listen and communicate effectively with folks from various cultural backgrounds . This talent serves me well when dealing with others who have strong social differences .
Nominating Committee Recommended Candidate
Statement of Focus
I enjoy being involved in my community , and over the years have been able to utilize my skills to make improvements in the way organizations and communities function . During this past year I have attended KICA board meetings and Town Council meetings to gain a better understanding of their operation and how they impact our life on Kiawah . I have listened to other community members and , when appropriate , tried to be part of a positive , constructive dialogue about our island . In addition to the other board functions , I would like to focus on two key items : integrated strategic planning for all “ K ” organizations , and improved community engagement through enhanced communication .
There are many moving parts and activities on the island . By further integrating the strategic goals and initiatives of the various groups , a more holistic and comprehensive approach to maintaining and improving our environment and quality of life on Kiawah can be realized .
Kiawah has many people assets that I would like to see more fully engaged . Goal development and implementation are most effective with an informed and engaged community . Key to this engagement is a communications plan that focuses on how and