City of Washington
The City of Washington is located on the Pamlico River’s northern bank,
within Beaufort County, approximately 68 miles northeast of Seymour
Johnson AFB and 65 miles west of DCR. In 2010 the population was 9,744.
The city is located east and west of Route 17 along Route 264 Established in
1776, the city is composed of 9.035 square miles. Much of the area within
the city is rural and suburban development, with numerous farm lands
surrounding the city.
In its early settlement, the city served as a major supply port during the
American Revolutionary War, and was named in honor of George
Washington. The City of Washington maintains numerous natural resource
areas and prides its highest priority in the preservation of the city’s history.
City of Washington Municipal Building