Jasmine's Place Issue No. 19 - September/October 2017 - Page 24

Around midnight, we woke up to someone banging at the side door. We grabbed our bathrobes, and realized there was smoke all over the place. She stopped by later and thanked me, but said they would be going home that afternoon to visit her family for the holiday. That evening I remembered the oven and asked my husband if he would spray the cleaner inside and lay papers under it. He took care of it while I got busy myself with other things, then we went to bed. Around midnight, we woke up to someone banging at the side door. We grabbed our bathrobes, and realized there was smoke all over the place. My husband ran to the children's rooms and I went to the door. There stood our new neighbor and her little girl. They had just arrived home, and she smelled smoke and called the fire department. Within minutes , they arrived. We’d gathered the children 24 JASMINE'S PLACE onto the enclosed frontporch, wrapped in blankets, far away from the kitchen area. Immediately the firemen realized where the smoke had started and what had happened. As I rushed to have a clean oven, I forgot paper to catch the grease doesn't go under a gas oven. Although it had taken a few hours, it caught on fire and the smoke had spread around the house. We felt awful. The damage was minimal, but most important was our three children who’d been sleeping were safe. After airing the house out, with the help of our friendly fire department, we went back to bed, thankful everyone was okay. Thanksgiving came, we enjoyed the day and were truly grateful for the Lord's protection and for a kind neighbor upstairs.