Iron man Iron Man USA April 2017 - Page 69

That very basic determination of your daily caloric load for gaining size is just a start. Next, you want to fill it up with quality food. Your shopping list should contain the following types of food: • Lean meats, such as 90-percent (and higher) fat-free ground beef, chicken breasts, turkey, fish, eggs, egg whites, Greek yogurt • Fruits, vegetables, leafy greens, pasta, whole-wheat bread items, rice, oatmeal • Cooking oil, nut butters, nuts, avo- cados • Spices, marinades, sauces • Fermented foods Ideally you want to eat 90 percent of your daily calories in whole foods. The remaining 10 percent of those calories can be “junk” items. I am not a pro- ponent of using a dirty bulk for health reasons, because nothing beats the nu- tritional punch of fruits, vegetables, and fermented foods. Not only are they good for you, they also help foster a healthy microbiome (gut health), which is criti- cal for digestion and overall health. You can expect to gain a little fat while in a calorie surplus and that’s perfectly normal. When I said earlier about excess fat gain, it means just that: excess. You’re not going to gain size and expect to put all muscle on your frame. If our bodies worked that way, diet coaches would be out of business. Be aware of your ap- pearance in such a way that if you start to gain fat too quickly, you can back off the calories a little and slow it down. Be comfortable with some fat gain, but don’t allow yourself to gain too much. You’ll undo all your hard work if you have to make a drastic cut. FOOD rules • Determine your lean body mass by converting your body-fat percentage to pounds and then subtracting that number from your total bodyweight • Consume one gram of protein per pound of lean body mass • Consume two grams of carbs per pound of lean body mass • Consume .5 grams of fat per pound of lean body mass • Ninety percent of what you eat should be whole foods ironmanmagazine.com | april 2017 67