International Dealer News IDN 147 February/March 2019 - Page 9

STAT ZONE Germany: motorcycles +7.35% in 2018* The latest data from the IVM, the motorcycle industry trade association in 200,000 Germany, shows motorcycle registrations essentially flat +10.98% on low volumes in December 2018 at -0.30 150,000 percent (2,000 units), having been +1.54 percent (2,566 units) in November. Registrations for the full 100,000 year 2018 were said to be +7.35 percent (108,296 units). In total PTW terms, 50,000 December was -8.90 percent (3,133 units), having been +9.49 percent in November (4,444 units) and +22.17 percent (7,809 units) in October. Total PTW TOTAL PTW registrations for the full was the BMW R 1200 GS (7,304 year 2018 in Germany were units), followed by the Yamaha 155,184 units, which is put at MT-07 (3,199), the Kawasaki +10.98 percent. Z900 (3,091) and Z 650 (2,787), If true, that would be the second with the Honda CRF 1000 ‘Africa best annual figure for the Twin’ (2,392 units) fifth. German market since before With five models in the Top 20 2008 (2016 saw a claimed best sellers, BMW remains 172,846 units registered), motorcycle market leader, precisely because of the Euro 3 though with a reduced share inventory pre-registrations (-7.00%) of 21.25 percent processed by manufacturers and (23,017 units). Kawasaki was their dealers. fifth with a 11.96 percent market The top selling model in 2018 2017 2018 +7.35% 139,831 German registrations 2018 MOTORCYCLE MOTOR RCYCLE R C share (12,995 units, +25.11%); Honda third with a 11.82 percent share (12,802 units, +1.18%); KTM fourth with a 11.07 percent share (11,993 units, +24.82%) and Yamaha fifth with a 10.22 percent share (11,063 units, +1.74%). In percentage terms, the biggest market sector in Germany is the sportsbike market (28.38 percent of all sales/30,732 units), and the fastest growing sectors, in percentage growth terms, are the Supersports (+18.16 percent at 4.46 percent of all sales/4,834 units) and the custom market (“chopper”), which is up by +17.24 percent (10.49 percent of all sales/11,355 units). The second largest sector in overall terms are what are termed “classical” models (naked bikes etc), which account for 27.82 percent of sales (30, 124 units/+13.49%). All sectors of the German market are up except for the Tourer and Luxury Tourer market (4.67 percent share, 5,053 units, -10.38%). The Enduro market was worth 25,209 units in 2018, making it Germany’s third largest sector with a 23.28 percent share (+6.07%). *As with other of Europe’s markets, while the unit numbers make good reading, some caution needs to be used when judging the apparent year-on- year percentage market growth because of the several thousands of pre-registered Euro 3 models registered in late 2016 that were actually sold ‘as new’ by dealers in early 2017, meaning that the real numbers for 2017 were higher than officially recorded. Switzerland 2018: motorcycles -8.79 The latest new registrations data released by Swiss industry association MotoSuisse shows total new PTW registrations down by -7.52 percent in 2018 (42,062 units in total), with motorcycle registrations at -8.79 percent for the year (24,544 units). In motorcycle terms Yamaha continues as market leader, having sold 4,353 units in Switzerland in 2018 for a 17.74 percent market share, followed by BMW (3,235 units, 13.18 percent share), Honda (3,001 units, 12.23 percent share), Harley-Davidson (2,694 units, 10.98 percent share) and Kawasaki (2,516 units, 10.25 percent share). They are followed by KTM, Triumph, Ducati, Suzuki and Husqvarna. Yamaha’s MT-07 was top seller, followed by the BMW R 1200 GS, the Kawasaki Z900 and then the Z650, with Honda’s CRF 1000 ‘Africa Twin’ fifth, followed by the www.idnmag.com Yamaha MT-09 Tracer. For the full year 2017 motorcycle registrations were up by +2.08 percent at 26,942 units (-3.4 percent/26,391 units in 2016 after being +17 percent in 2015), with total PTW registrations broadly flat (-0.89 percent) at 45,487 units in total (-6.21 percent/45,896 units in 2016). INTERNATIONAL DEALER NEWS - FEBRUARY/MARCH 2019 9