Intelligent CISO Issue 1 - Page 63

as the venues where such incidents had occurred most. That was closely followed by airports (60%) and hotels (52%), with other locations on the list including train stations (30%), exhibition centres (26%) and in-flight (20%). not surprising this issue is on the radar of CIOs. The conundrum remains: how can they keep their mobile workers secure while providing them with the flexibility to get connected anywhere using their device of choice?” Compiling the responses of 500 organisations from the US, UK, Germany and France, the annual iPass Mobile Security Report provides an overview of how companies are dealing with the trade-off between security and the need to enable a mobile workforce. Many organisations have now implemented Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) policies to empower their mobile workers. The research shows the majority of organisations are still addressing mobile security problems by banning employee usage of free Wi-Fi hotspots. However, for all the positives this can bring, 94% of enterprises said BYOD Organisations have now implemented Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) policies to empower their mobile workers. had increased mobile security risks. Overall, 92% of organisations said they were concerned their growing mobile workforce presented an increasing number of mobile security challenges. “Given the amount of high-profile security breaches in recent years, it’s www.intelligentciso.com | Issue 01 More than a quarter (27%) take the hardline approach of banning their use at all times, while 40% ban their use sometimes. A further 16% plan to introduce a ban on public Wi-Fi hotspots in the future. Many organisations use virtual private networks (VPN) to provide secure remote access to their data and systems, and the research shows that employee usage of VPNs is slowly increasing. In 2016, the iPass Mobile Security Report revealed that 26% of organisations were fully confident their mobile workers were using a VPN every time they went online, but that figure has jumped to 46% in 2018. However, that still leaves more than half (54%) of respondents reporting that they still aren’t fully confident their mobile workers use a VPN every time they go online. Highlights from the report, categorised by geographic region, include: ▯ ▯ CIOs from Germany (71%) are the most suspicious that their mobile workers have been hacked or caused a security issue. ▯ ▯ UK enterprises are likely to be the 94% of enterprises said BYOD has increased mobile security risks. seen Wi-Fi related security incidents occur in such a location. Meanwhile, alarm bells could ring for enterprises from the US when their employees come online in airports, as 68% have seen an incident occur there. ▯ ▯ In the UK, almost half (42%) of enterprises have no plans to ban the use of free Wi-Fi hotspots. This is significantly higher than the US (9%), Germany (10%) and France (12%). ▯ ▯ UK organisations (38%) were least confident that their mobile workers are using a VPN every time they go online. The figure is higher in Germany (53%), the US (49%) and France (41%). “While putting a blanket ban on accessing public Wi-Fi hotspots could initially appear to stop the security problem at the source, the fact of the matter is that mobile workers will stop at nothing to get themselves online. There’s no point in putting roadblocks in their way without also providing a solution,” said Konka. “Organisations must focus on taking positive action to resolve the security problems mobile workers are bringing to the table. With a secure connection through a VPN, enterprises can have confidence that Wi-Fi hotspot usage will have a positive rather than negative impact on their business. The key for organisations is to educate mobile workers about security threats and to provide them with the tools to remain productive and secure.” u 63 Raghu