Now , 350 years on , the Royal Navy and Dutch Navy are working together for the anniversary celebrations and it is hoped that the re-telling and commemorating of the events of 1667 will ensure that this important chapter in history is not forgotten .
Throughout summer 2017 , events and exhibitions are taking place across Medway , including a new permanent exhibition at Upnor Castle . The focus of the anniversary celebrations will be between Thursday 8th June and Saturday 17th June when events include exhibitions , talks , arts and sporting events celebrating friendship and partnership between England and The Netherlands .
• The Battle of Medway Exhibition at Upnor Castle is a new permanent exhibition illustrating the battle which took place in and around the castle itself . Open from 1st April 2017 .
• The Dutch Are Coming ! at Upnor Castle . Step back in time to 1667 at Upnor Castle with living history events and activities telling the story of the Dutch Raid on Saturday 10th and Sunday 11th June 2017 .
• The Battle of Medway International Exhibition at The Historic Dockyard Chatham tells the story of the battle through wonderful Dutch and British contemporary art , literature , historic manuscripts and extraordinary objects on loan from national and international museums at the Historic Dockyard Chatham . The exhibition runs 8th June – 3rd September 2017 .
• The Journey to Chatham Exhibition at the Guildhall Museum in Rochester will feature original Dutch broadsheets and engravings from the museum ’ s collections alongside modern recreations of the battle at the Guildhall Museum , telling the story of the battle from the Dutch perspective . From 6th May to 12th November .
• Medway in Flames will be the big finale to the weeklong anniversary celebrations . A major public event with all day activities and entertainment culminating with a depiction of the Dutch Raid on the River Medway with Upnor Castle as the backdrop .
EAT , DRINK & STAY IN MEDWAY
• To end your day of maritime discovery , perhaps head for dinner and panoramic views across the River Medway to Upnor Castle at the Ship and Trades . This stunning bar , restaurant and hotel in Chatham ’ s stylish marina combines naval heritage with contemporary style .
• You might also like to raise a glass or two of Medway ’ s finest spirits at the Copper Rivet Distillery where you can enjoy a taste of Medway and take a tour to experience the entire distillation process from grain to glass .
• If you ’ re looking for a place to rest your head , try the Bridgewood Manor Hotel in Rochester . Designed around a wonderful inner courtyard , attentive four-star service goes hand in hand with a superb setting .