Insaan Group Report with UN SDGs 2017 1 - Page 4

Goal: Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all, at all ages

Access Afya, Kenya: Micro-Clinics in Slums

In 2016, Insaan invested in Access Afya (accessafya.com) to promote access to low-cost, high-quality, patient-centered, outcome-centered health care in the slums of Nairobi.

 

• Access Afya has conducted over 26,700 primary care visits to date and serves 13,765 patients in the slums of Nairobi, mainly around Kisii, Kayaba, Sinai, Kiambu and Madiwa. In addition, in 2017, Access Afya carried out five pop-up field care events, serving some 380 more people.

• 55% of Access Afya’s patients are women, and 41% are under 5 years of age.

• Respiratory and gastrointestinal issues make up the majority of outpatient visits.

• 70% of clinic visits are outpatient visits, with the other 30% being focused on family planning, chronic care, antenatal care, and child welfare clinics.

• Access Afya’s recovery rate, a big impact data point which shows real clinical outcomes, is of 95% within 7 days. For the 5% not recovered within one week, Access Afya conducts referrals to specialist partners, and tracks the case until it closes.