IGNIS Winter 2017-2018 - Page 9

IGNIS Young Reporter Lagoon is great although don’t lose anything in there as the water is murky. Also, don’t get your hair wet in it because it makes a weird crackling sound! Hellisheidi Power Plant is one of the many renewable power stations that populate Iceland. Iceland is the only country in the world with 100% of its energy made from renewable sources, an achievement that will hopefully be mi rrored by other countries in the future. Geothermal power uses the natural heat from the ground (Iceland being a volcanically active area) to heat water, to turn a turbine, to then turn a generator. This warm water is then reused in cities cheaply, also reusing energy which would otherwise be wasted. About 87% of energy is created by hydroelectric power stations and the remaining 13% from geothermal power stations. Kerid Crater is an explosion crater filled with water (not from rainfall but by the level of the water table). There are two theories as to how this was formed – the usual one is by a volcanic explosion - however a second theory is that the cone volcano’s magma chamber emptied, leading the cone to collapse into the chamber. Either way, it is still a very big crater and a very impressive site. Þingvellir (Thingvellir) National Park is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It was the site of Iceland’s ancient parliament from as early as AD 930, until the late 18th century. Here, you can see the gap between the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates; you can be in Europe and touch North America! This gap between the plates is growing by about 2cm a year, not a lot but in 100 years, that is a 2m widening and responsible, every few years, for earthquakes. IGNIS 9