History of the UF Division of Student Affairs - Page 52

52 University College in 1945. In 1950, the Bureau of Vocational Guidance and Mental Hygiene was moved administratively to the lower division college with the director reporting directly to the dean. The Bureau of Vocational Guidance and Mental Hygiene acquired a new name in 1959 — the University Counseling Center. In 1965, the University Counseling Center moved to a new location as a self-contained wing on the third floor of Little Hall, named after the first dean of the University College. The facility was designed as a state-of-the-art counseling center assuring students easy access to a comfortable and confidential dedicated space. A separate wing on the third floor housed University College administrators and faculty who served as academic counselors. Frequent referrals were made from the academic counselors to the University Counseling Center as students were expected to declare a major and gain admission to an upper division college in their sophomore year, before they attained a specific number of academic credits. The “60 hour rule” was a source of significant stress for those students who were undecided on a major or unable to gain access to an upper division college since their status at UF could be in jeopardy. As UF expanded in the post -World War II and Korean War years, psychological and vocational counseling services flourished to meet the new demands. The appearance of returning veterans, married students, and female students followed later by students of color created a more multicultural atmosphere on the formerly all-white male campus. Turbulent Times The late 1960s and 1970s marked turbulent times and social change. The University Counseling Center staff understood the spreading student mistrust of traditional institutions and created alternative professionally staffed “walkin” services in order to reach out to disenfranchised students. These walk-in services were created to enhance existing traditional counseling services offered by the University Counseling Center. Pioneering alternative services dealing with substance abuse issues began for students. Obstacles to help-seeking were minimized to the extent possible. Students were encouraged to drop in without appointments during appointed walk-in days to see a counselor with expertise in the area of drug abuse. They were required to complete limited initial paperwork. The Women’s Walk-In Counseling Service began in 1973 with feminist therapist staffing. This service was a leader on the UF campus regarding status of women H i st o ry o f t h e U F D S A