History of the UF Division of Student Affairs - Page 17

17 When New Dormitory (Sledd Hall) opened in 1929, Dean of Students Tolbert established a residence hall staff system, a precursor of the present system using Resident Assistants. Each section had a designated upperclassman called a “monitor” who provided leadership. The president of the student body was “head monitor.” Monitors were not paid. Monitors were appointed fr om students twenty-one years of age or older. By 1939, building dedication materials for Sledd, Fletcher, and Murphree Halls described the five residence facilities (Buckman, Thomas, Sledd, Fletcher, and Murphree) as “housing 1,100 residents, about one-third the all-male student body.” The residence facilities were administered by a Director of Residence, his staff, a student monitor for each of the sections, and an advisory committee on residence composed of three members of the faculty. By the late 1930s, President Tigert described the Dean of Students Office as growing from one small office in Peabody Hall with one full-time staff member and one part-time staff member to four large rooms in Anderson Hall with two full-time staff and several student assistants. Duties included working with individual students in need of guidance and self-help; working with faculty in selling the student personnel viewpoint; advising student government; working with students living in dormitories, rooming housing, and fraternities; advising honorary societies; providing for freshmen wellness; enforcing student bylaws; providing for student social activities; arranging for student placement after graduation; dealing with student automobiles; and arranging for student scholarships and loans. The UF Student YMCA student employment programs and private scholarships as well as a loan program that Tolbert initiated in the 1930s were precursors to the Student Financial Aid department which was part of the Division of Student Affairs until 2011. When the Depression hit, Tolbert lobbied the administration to support a loan program to enable students leaving UF for financial reasons to stay. He proposed six-month term loans in the range of $35 – 50. The state authorized the sale of $2 UF “scholarship license tags” with monies beyond the cost of the tags going toward the loan fund. By 1934, $300 had been raised, enough to initiate the loan program. Under the leadership of Hubert Carl Schucht, UF Student Body President 1936-37, student organizations continued to raise money towards the fund. By 1958, the loan fund had grown to $30,000. After Tolbert’s death, the loan fund was named the Tolbert Memorial Loan Fund. I ntroduction