Hello Monaco magazine Winter 2018 - issue HM02 - Page 97

MONACO NEIGHBOURHOOD
House of Savoy extended to other territories , including the city of Vaud . During the next few centuries , Eze repeatedly lived through a few disturbances . In the mid 16th century it changed ownership , passing from the French to the Turks . In 1706 , Louis XIV completely destroyed its fortress walls during the War for the Spanish heritage . Only in 1860 Eze officially became part of France by a unanimous decision of its inhabitants . As of today , the commune holds about 3.000 inhabitants . Although small , Eze has its own newspaper « Vues d ’ Eze ». It also holds cultural events , festivals , various religious holidays and the Harmony Festival . The medieval town still remembers one of its most extraordinary and famous inhabitants , the German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche , who came to the south of France to cheer himself up . It was here , in 1885 , that Ni-
Eze — perched like a phoenix nest
Photo : depositphotos ( 4 )
eng

This place has been increasingly discovered by tourists in recent years , and is even being rediscovered by French people . The biggest fans of extreme sports and adventure climb to Eze up a steep winding path . Their perseverance , however , is well rewarded and surpasses all expectations . Travellers will be welcomed by the dizzying views of the Mediterranean and a town as picturesque as Walt Disney fairy tales . If Disney comes to mind while you are in Eze , this is not by chance . The famous cartoon maker enjoyed coming here and creating sketches for his future fairytale castles . But the history of Eze dates back to many centuries before .

History of Eze

The village owes its name to an ancient Egyptian goddess , Isis . It is in her name that the ancient

Phoenicians who colonized these lands consecrated
their temple . Isis is one of the greatest goddesses of Antiquity , an Egyptian ideal of femininity and motherhood . She was a patron of all slaves and oppressed , but also listened to the prayers of the rich , the aristocrats and the rulers . Man first set foot on the territory of modern Eze in the 19-20th centuries B . C . In later times , this land was owned by the Romans and the Moors . It is believed that the town was mainly built under the reign of the Roman emperors Augustus and Flavius . The village is first mentioned in the 4th century records as « ab Avisione ». Over centuries its name took different forms of Esa , Eza , Isia , Isie . Once the territory passed under the control of the House of Savoy in 1388 , it acquired its modern name in the Provençal translation . By 1383 , Eze was controlled by the Savoy dynasty that secured the town with new fortifications . This precaution was justified by the proximity to the large city of Nice . At various instances of time the power of the
Our lady of assumption church
etzsche wrote the final part of his book « Thus Spoke Zarathustra ». The path that the great philosopher took daily down to the sea now bears his name ( Chemin de Nietzsche ). It is only accessible by foot ; the walk up will take you about an hour and a half . Travellers can leave their car at one of the two parking lots at the entrance to the town . One of them is free of charge , but is always very busy . Before venturing into the labyrinth of its narrow streets , visitors pass through the double 14th century fortress gates . This is the only entrance to the old city and the only part of the fortress that was preserved after the Louis XIV attack in the early 18th century . These picturesque streets will take you to the highest point of the town , where you ’ ll find another local landmark , an exotic garden built on the ruins of an ancient castle . Its main attraction is a 13-meter cactus , with a total weight of a ton . This giant
Hello Monaco – Winter 2018 / 95
MONACO NEIGHBOURHOOD House of Savoy extended to other territo- ries, including the city of Vaud. During the next few centuries, Eze repeatedly lived through a few disturbances. In the mid 16th century it changed ownership, pass- ing from the French to the Turks. In 1706, Louis XIV completely destroyed its fortress walls during the War for the Spanish her- itage. Only in 1860 Eze officially became part of France by a unanimous decision of its inhabitants. As of today, the commune holds about 3.000 inhabitants. Although small, Eze has its own newspaper «Vues d’Eze». It also holds cultural events, festivals, various re- ligious holidays and the Harmony Festival. The medieval town still remembers one of its most extraordinary and famous inhabit- ants, the German philosopher Friedrich Ni- etzsche, who came to the south of France to cheer himself up. It was here, in 1885, that Ni- Eze — perched like a phoenix nest T eng his place has been increas- ingly discovered by tour- ists in recent years, and is even being rediscovered by French people. The biggest fans of extreme sports and adventure climb to Eze up a steep winding path. Their perseverance, however, is well rewarded and surpasses all expectations. Travellers will be welcomed by the dizzy- ing views of the Mediterranean and a town as picturesque as Walt Disney fairy tales. If Disney comes to mind while you are in Eze, this is not by chance. The famous car- toon maker enjoyed coming here and creat- ing sketches for his future fairytale castles. But the history of Eze dates back to many centuries before. History of Eze T he village owes its name to an an- cient Egyptian goddess, Isis. It is in her name that the ancient Phoenicians who colonized these lands con- secrated their temple. Isis is one of the great- est goddesses of Antiquity, an Egyptian ideal of femininity and motherhood. She was a patron of all slaves and oppressed, but also listened to the prayers of the rich, the aristo- crats and the rulers. Man first set foot on the territory of mod- ern Eze in the 19-20th centuries B.C. In later times, this land was owned by the Romans and the Moors. It is believed that the town was mainly built under the reign of the Ro- man emperors Augustus and Flavius. The village is first mentioned in the 4th century records as «ab Avisione». Over centuries its name took different forms of Esa, Eza, Isia, Isie. Once the territory passed under the control of the House of Savoy in 1388, it acquired its modern name in the Provençal translation. By 1383, Eze was controlled by the Savoy dynasty that secured the town with new fortifications. This precaution was justified by the proximity to the large city of Nice. At various instances of time the power of the Our lady of assumption church etzsche wrote the final part of his book «Thus Spoke Zarathustra». The path that the great philosopher took daily down to the sea now bears his name (Chemin de Nietzsche). It is only accessible by foot; the walk up will take you about an hour and a half. Travellers can leave their car at one of the two parking lots at the entrance to the town. One of them is free of charge, but is always very busy. Before venturing into the labyrinth of its nar- row streets, visitors pass through the double 14th century fortress gates. This is the only entrance to the old city and the only part of the fortress that was preserved after the Louis XIV attack in the early 18th century. These picturesque streets will take you to the highest point of the town, where you’ll find another loc ɬѥȴ)եЁѡե́Ё̴)ѱ%́Ʌѥ̵́ѕȁ)̰ݥѠѽхݕЁѽQ́)!5L]ѕȀ