Green Lake Magazine Green Lake Magazine 2012 - Page 64

64 | Green Lake magazine 2012 For a glimpse into our nation’s political history, tour Ripon’s Little White Schoolhouse, a National Historical Landmark in the 300 block of Blackburn Street in downtown Ripon. On March 20, 1854, citizens gathered in this one-room building to organize against the spread of slavery into the north by creating a new political party, naming it the “Republican Party.” The party was well received, and with the help of the inuential newspaper editor, Horace Greeley, the name “Republican” was accepted. The rst national Republican Convention was held in Pittsburgh in 1856, and in 1860 the party elected its rst President, Abraham Lincoln. The Little White Schoolhouse has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1973, and was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1974. Today it is operated as a museum related to both 19th century one-room schoolhouse education and to the founding of the Republican Party.The School is open daily June 1 through Labor Day. Special appointments and group tours may be arranged for anytime during the year by calling the Ripon Chamber of Commerce at (920) 748-6764. Visiting Hours are 10:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m. daily in season. The School is also open weekends in May, September, and October. Admission is $2 for adults; children 12 and under are free. Proceeds are used to assist with building maintenance, and souvenirs are available for purchase. For more information visit: littlewhiteschoolhouse.com or birthplaceoftherepublicanparty.com. Ripon's Little White SCHOOLHOUSE