gmhTODAY 08 gmhToday May June 2016 - Page 73

Legion unit purchased the site, soon adding a lot behind it on Eigleberry St. After part of the Opera House was torn down, the American Legion building was constructed at the corner of Fifth and Eigleberry Streets. The following year, the remaining east side of the structure along Fifth Street was remodeled and turned into a National Guard Armory. Another section of property, now 64 W. Fifth Street, was sold to Doctors Elmer and Wayne Chesbro for a new brick medical building. The remodeled Armory space and new Legion building held an auditorium, a banquet room, offices, kitchen and store- room for the local National Guard unit. By 1940, the new Wheeler Civic Auditorium and Armory were constructed at Sixth and Church Streets. The following year, the old Armory on Fifth Street was GILROY • MORGAN HILL • SAN MARTIN MAY/JUNE 2016 razed to make way for medical offices for Dr. Leon Melkonian. By the 1950s the Legion building on the corner of Fifth and Eigleberry Streets was turned into medical offices and a beauty parlor. More recently it has been used as an alterations shop. The American Legion built a newer, larger facility one block away, on Sixth and Eigleberry Streets. The site is now known as the Veterans Building. gmhtoday.com 73