GGCP Newsletter Feb. 2019 - Page 4

CONTACTS

200 Trafton Rd, Springfield, MA, 01108

413-750-8560

ecoates@springfieldcityhall.com

www.springfield-ma.gov/ggcp

Emmalin Coates Asst. Project Coordinator

jpellegrino@springfieldcityhall.com

413-750-8022

Joseph Pellegrino Project Coordinator

The Greening the Gateway Cities Program (GGCP) is a state-wide community forestry program that aims to reduce household heating and cooling bills by planting free shade trees at qualifying homes and businesses. GGCP is a partnership between the Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs (EEA), the Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) Urban & Community Forestry Program, the Department of Energy Resources (DOER) and the Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD).

The Springfield branch includes a partnership with the City of Springfield and local grassroots organization, ReGreen Springfield. Our program aims to plant 2,400 trees in the McKnight, Old Hill and Upper Hill neighborhoods over a 3 year period. Our goal is for 80% of these trees to find homes on private land, with the remaining 20% on public lands such as parks, schools or tree belts.

If your home or business is within our zone please call 3-1-1 to request trees – we will come out and assess your property to ensure the best possible species are planted in your space.

To learn more about us or to view our zone map please visit us at www.springfield-ma.gov/ggcp.

For more information on the program at the state level please visit https://www.mass.gov/service-details/greening-the-gateway-cities-program.

Editor's Note