Football Focus Issue 75 - Page 62

Cowes Sports FOLLOW US ONLINE TWITTER.COM/FOOTYFOCUSMAG Cowes Sports FOOTBALL CLUB The original Cowes FC, formed in 1881, had folded in 1899 after an unsuccessful venture into professionalism in the Southern League. The Club re-formed four years later and then moved to Westwood Park, their current home, in 1912. Many years of success followed in the Hampshire League, especially in the 1920s and 30s, when County trophies were won on several occasions. All told, the Hampshire League was won on ten occasions, along with nine successes in the Hampshire Senior Cup. In one Final in the 1931/32 season, they were beaten 2-1 by their deadly rivals Newport, but the amazing statistic was the attendance of 21,000 at the Dell in Southampton. That same season, the FA Cup tie at Westwood against the same opponents, drew a ground record attendance of 4815 that stands to this day. In 1945 the Club, after many years of trying, finally secured the purchase of Westwood Park as the country recovered from the War and the trophies continued to be won, but a gradual decline in fortunes led to relegation to the 2nd Division of the Hampshire League for the first time in 1967. Ironically, the Club won the Hampshire Senior Cup that season as well, for what would be the final time. The Club has enjoyed a measure of success in the FA Cup and FA Vase over the years, reaching the fourth Qualifying round of the FA Cup in 1908/09, 1937/38, 1957/58 and 1963/64, while they reached the last sixteen of the FA Vase in 1999/00. 62 Issue 75 In 1968 a group of workers at Cowes shipbuilders, J. S. White’s resurrected the football section of its Sports Club. This continued until 1973, when the Company closed its Sports ground, but the Club continued independently as White Sports, on a Council ground, in the Island League. In 1980, White Sports merged with their close neighbours, Cowes FC, that, by then, had fallen on hard times, and became Cowes Sports FC. The Club in its original form, had always recruited players predominately from the Mainland, but in 1982 they went