Football Focus Issue 75 - Page 48

Aston Clinton FOLLOW US ONLINE TWITTER.COM/FOOTYFOCUSMAG Aston Clinton FOOTBALL CLUB Aston Clinton FC was formed in 1892 and is one of the oldest clubs in Buckinghamshire. In the early days the football club played on the recreation ground in Rosebery Road (which is now Chestnut Close and Beechwood Way) and the playing field in Twitchell Lane (which is now home to the newer Aston Clinton School). The early 1970’s saw the local parish council acquire land in London Road and this is what is now known as Aston Clinton Park and has been home to the football club since then. During the early years the club played in both the Aylesbury and District (ADL) and the Marsworth Leagues and were Marsworth League winners numerous times between 1933 and 1957. In 1957 the club joined the Hellenic League where they played for the next 48 Issue 75 two seasons before leaving to return to the ADL and the Marsworth Leagues before re-joining the Hellenic League in 1965. Rising costs forced the club to resign from the Hellenic League in 1980 and join the Wycombe and District Football League. The club enjoyed seventeen years within the Wycombe and District League and were ever present at the top of the table. During this time, they were Wycombe League Cup finalists on six occasions but winners of the cup only once. The club have been finalists and winners in numerous local cup competitions including the Rosebery Cup, Marsworth Cup, Thomas Field Shield, Oving Cup and the Berks & Bucks Junior and Intermediate Cups and were the first club to win the Oving Village Cup on three successive occasions in 1948, 1948 and 1950. In 2005 the first team joined the Spartan South Midlands Division 2 League and this is where we are still playing. During our time in the SSML we have won the league title twice (2005/06 & 2011/12) and been runners-up on two occasions (2009/10 & 2012/13). Our reserve team also played in the SSML in the reserve league but after this league was folded they joined the Hellenic Division 2 East in 2016. In 2016 the football club joined forces with the local youth club and parish council to help renovate what was the Youth Club Hall located within