Exhibition News September 2018 - Page 10

NEWS THE DEALMAKER Steve Monnington of Mayfield Media Strategies looks at the year in M&A so far and the growing ‘launch to sell’ culture N 10 ormally July and August are quiet months on the M&A front, but not this year. ITE completed its two-step exit from the Malaysia market with the sale of its 75 per cent stake in ECMI to UBM Asia, with the remaining 25 per cent still held by the original founders CP Saw and WP Cheong. ITE originally acquired ECMI, which runs a series of beauty (under the Cosmobeaute brand) and lab shows across South East Asia, in 2013. UBM was recently acquired by Informa and both companies, along with ITE, were the region’s main organisers of beauty shows so the acquisition gives Informa/ UBM dominance in this sector across Asia. The sale follows the disposal of Metaltech, Malaysia’s leading exhibition for metalworking and machine tools, also to UBM Asia earlier this year. MCI Group, the global meetings and events company based in Switzerland has acquired a controlling stake in Middle East media company, One Communications and Marketing Group (ONE CMG). ONE CMG has its origins in exhibitions and publishing originally as Turret Media, set up by Richard Hease and Chris Fountain more than a decade ago. Since then the group has expanded into TV production, digital and PR. Along the way they created World Future Energy Summit which was sold to Reed in 2008. MCI has a number of companies spanning experiential marketing, technical and creative production, event organisation and marketing measurement services. Messe Dusseldorf has acquired 50 per cent of Meditech, held in Bogota, Columbia, from local organiser and venue owner, Corferias. As the organiser of Medica in Germany, the world’s leading trade exhibition for the healthcare sector, Messes Dusseldorf is well placed to help scale Meditech, which is currently a biennial show with around 300 exhibitors, 40 per cent of whom are international. Comexposium’s recent acquisitions have centred around their French home market and they added another one as they completed their acquisition of 51 per cent of Coalition Media Group, a French company organising the Job Rencontres trade recruitment fairs and publisher of 12 magazines including the banking, personal insurance and automotive sectors. This follows last month’s acquisition of the International Master Course on Ageing Science (IMCAS) – three international trade shows for the dermatology, plastic surgery and aesthetic science sector held in Paris, Americas and Asia. A big deal for Future plc, with the proposed acquisition of the I N T E R N AT I O N A L N E W S UFI AND EXPLORI UNDERTAKE BIGGEST EVER GLOBAL VISITOR STUDY INDEPENDENT HOTEL SHOW ANNOUNCES LAUNCH OF EUROPEAN COUNTERPART JOE MANBY PARTNERS WITH OCEAN ENERGY EUROPE 2018 This summer, exhibition research specialist Explori is undertaking a major global research project in partnership with UFI, the global association of the exhibition industry. Explori is inviting all B2B organisers to join the major organisers already participating, to reach millions of visitors globally. In addition to insight gleaned from Explori’s global data set, the study will focus on some of the key topics facing the industry, including changing event formats, emerging technologies, engaging more diverse audiences, and competition from other channels. Explori’s global strategy director and report author, Sophie Holt, will be presenting some of the key findings at the UFI Global Congress in St Petersburg later in the year. Fresh Montgomery, organiser of the Independent Hotel Show, has announced the launch of a new event – the