engage magazine issue 007/\'08 - Page 46

46 FACT FILE Did you know Small & Medium sized enterprises (SMEs) Did you know that...? Within the Private Sector u 49% of private sector employment in London occurs within small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). The other 51% of private sector employment occurs within large firms. Source: GLAECONOMICS Employment in London by firm size - May 2008 Employment in private sector SMEs by sector u Amongst private sector SMEs, the largest sector by some distance is the business services sector, which accounts for 37% of SME private sector employment in London. There are then five sectors that have 8-9% of SME employment each. These are manufacturing, wholesale, retail, hotels and restaurants, and other services. Source: GLAECONOMICS Employment in London by firm size - May 2008 ’s 76% eoft Londone n is in th employm private sector ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ 0% 8% 5% 9% 8% 9% 4% 5% 37% 2% 5% 8% Primary and Utilities Manufacturing Construction Wholesale Retail Hotels and Restaurants Transport and Communications Financial Services Business Service Education and Public Admin Health and Social Work Other Services Source: GLAECONOMICS Employment in London by firm size - May 2008 Source: GLAECONOMICS Employment in London by firm size - May 2008 engage | uk ISSUE SEVEN 2008