Design April/May 2015 July/Aug 2013 - Page 33

lernhaus Still in use, its new extension to the right has none of the baroque style of the original building which was completed in 1913. One of the most eye-catching colonial buildings in Swakopmund is Hohenzollern, built in 1905/6. Its many beautiful embellishments include a frieze of angels carrying a garland of flowers while a statue of a kneeling Atlas holding up a globe is featured on the roof above the front door. In 1988 the original cement figure was replaced with the present plaster-of-Paris version. The Kaserne was built in 1906 as living quarters for the Eisenbahnbau Kompagnie who built the wooden jetty. A facade of 55 metres is broken by an entrance hall with paintings on the walls, while imposing turrets – one on each corner – complete the picture. It was declared a national monument in 1973. Today it serves as youth hostel. The Prinzessin Rupprecht Heim dates from 1902 and was first used as a military hospital. In 1905/6 it was expanded to include a mortuary, operating theatre and isolation wing. After closing in 1909, it was taken over by the Bavarian Women’s Red Cross in 1914 who named it after their patron, Princess Rupprecht, wife of the crown prince of Bavaria. A donation allowed for the raising of the roof and the addition of two gables. For many years it served as a nursing home until it was converted into a private guesthouse. One of Swakopmund’s most recognised buildings is the Woermannhaus and its decorated tower. The original building was erected in 1894 and in 1903/04 it was extended and extravagant, wood-panelled offices were added. Designed by Friedrich Höft as an office for the Damara and Namaqua Trading Company, it was built in a style typical of the times. In 1909 the building was bought by Woermann, Brock and Co and from 1921 it served as a school hostel. After falling into a state of disrepair, it was closed in 1972 and the municipality planned to demolish the building. Thanks to local conservationists, though, restorations began, which were completed in 1975, after which it was declared a national monument. Today it houses the Swakopmund Arts Association and public library. Sources: Swakopmund - Our Heritage by Christine Marais Online sources swakop.com my-beautiful-namibia.com lonelyplanet.com namibiweb.com 33 desIgn Namibia June - August 2013