Design April/May 2015 July/Aug 2013 - Page 31

the Swakopmund Hotel and Entertainment Centre – is a good example of German architecture of the 19th and early 20th century. Designed by C Schmidt and constructed in 1901, the central tower was later added by Willie Sander. Before the conversion there was only a single structure which is now the hotel reception area and bar. The original platform is the terrace which overlooks the swimming pool. It was declared a national monument in 1972. Between 1908 and 1987 the St Antonius Building was Swakopmund’s only hospital. At first it was staffed by sisters of the Franciscan order and later by the Roman Catholic Church. On the ground floor were three examination rooms, a pharmacy and an operating theatre, and on the top floor were 25 rooms. It was designed by the government builder, Otto Ertl. Also designed by Otto Ertl, construction of the neo-baroque German Evangelical Lutheran Church began in 1909 and the parsonage was completed in 1911. The church roof was covered with copper and the three church bells were cast in Germany by Franz Schilling. The church and parsonage were declared a national monument in 1978. Across the road from the church is the old German School. Town councillors held a competition to erect it, which was won by Metje & Ziegler. The beautiful ornamentation and small roof turret blend perfectly with the church and parsonage. Bahnhof ( The Swakopmund hotel and entertainment centre) 31 German School Kaserne desIgn Namibia June - August 2013