Cullman Senior Magazine Summer 2019 - Page 23

By Kelly Wheeler John G. Cullmann (1823-1895) With Alabama Celebrating the Bicentennial, we thought it would be neat to use pictures to take a reflection over the history of when Cullman County was created. On January 24, 1877, in Bavarian native Johann Cullmann bought 350,000 acres along the Louisville and Nashville Railroad line in North Alabama. Unhappy with the succession of revolutions in Central Europe. Cullman traveled through the United States during the 1860s and in 1870s met then-Alabama Gov. Robert Patton, who encouraged him to stay and buy land. After he arrived, Cullman began a letter-writing campaign to recruit other Germans, offering parcels of land at a deep discount. He also promoted the area through a German-language newspaper he created, Der Nord Alabama Colonist. By the mid-1870s, the town of Cullman had 125 immigrant families. On Jan 24, 1877, the county of Cullman was created by an act of the Legislature from portions of Blount, Walker, Morgan and Winston counties. Today, the county's German heritage is celebrated with an annual Oktoberfest. Historic buildings in Cullman, 2010. (The George F. Landegger Collection of Alabama Photographs in Carol M. Highsmith’s America, Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division) The Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament, along with Our Lady of Angels Monastery, was built on 400 acres in Hanceville, near the eastern border of Cull- man County. Construc- tion of the shrine and monastery The Ave Maria Grotto was created by monk Joseph Zoettel on the grounds of Saint Bernard Abbey. He began building the miniatures around 1918. The railroad depot in Cullman was built by the Louisville and Nashville Railroad Company in 1913. Historic buildings in Cullman, 2010. (The George F. Landegger Collection of Ala- bama Photographs in Carol M. Highsmith’s America, Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division)