County Commission | The Magazine August 2018 - Page 9

FROM THE COVER 1952 The Association of County Engineers of Alabama was formed for the purpose of promoting sound infrastructure, exchanging ideas among engineering professionals and maintaining cooperaton between counties and the state highway department. 1955 Farm-to-Market Road Program achieved its goal: 100 miles of roads paved in every county. 1955 100% membership: The first time all 67 counties were Association members. 1963 Registration for the 35th Annual Convention, held at the Admiral Semmes Hotel in Mobile, was $20 per member. Group meetings were organized specifically for engineers, clerks and probate judges. The keynote speaker for the banquet was Countess Maria Pulaski, a WWII spy. 1961 Legislative wins for the counties included two proposals to expand the allowable expenditures for the special road and bridge fund. There was also county support for two newly- enacted tax incentives to encourage construction of fall-out shelters. 1966 1956 Winston Stewart, longtime probate judge in Coosa County, was named to the Association’s top staff position. At the 38th Annual Convention that June in Mobile, highlights included speeches from the Governor and First Lady. Gov. George Wallace hinted at a presidential run, while Lurleen Wallace, then the Democratic Party’s gubernatorial nominee, promised a new road program would be a priority of her administration. 1970 67 counties, one name: By act of the Alabama Legislature, county governing bodies were all named “county commissions.” Terms such as “board of revenue” and “commissioners court” were retired. COUNTY COMMISSION | 9