Community Insider Summer 2018 - Page 14

WHAT’S THAT SOUND? By Yvette Huffman and Mark Adams L iving in a multi-dwelling building such as a condominium, means you give up some of your privacy and you might hear your neighbor playing piano through the shared wall or walking across the floor in the unit above. One of the most common issues facing condominium homeowner’s associations is noise transmission between the Units. No one intends for you to hear them going about their business, but it is a bi-product of close living in a multi-dwelling building especially in older buildings. There are ways to mitigate the sound transmitting between walls and between floor/ceiling. The best place to begin the process of determining the existing Sound Transmission Class (“STC”) of the floor over another unit or the wall between two units is to hire a professional construction expert to determine the components. Each component of a wall and floor assembly is given a STC rating and/or Impact Insulation Class (“IIC”) rating. STC rating pertains to airborne sounds such as talking, television, and music and applies to the drywall configure between two units. The IIC rating is specific to flooring assemblies. Once the configuration has been determined and calculations made, using the rating system, the professional contractor will need to determine what the IIC rating will be for flooring products “other” than carpet and pad e.g. 14 | SAN DIEGO COMMUNITY INSIDER SUMMER 2018 laminate, stone, wood. Please bear in mind that the typical underlayment of cork for these “other” applications is not a soundproofing material. If the rating is not close to a number like 85, then the requirement for the addition of a Sound Control Underlayment (“SCU”) will be necessary. As an example, there is a rubberized material that can be installed