Celebrate in Herefordshire - Page 16

Weddings Marriage in a Church If you are planning to marry in a Church of England church (and generally you will only be able to do so if you live in the parish of that church) you must first discuss your marriage with the vicar. If he or she is able to marry you they will be able to advise on the necessary legal requirements, the ceremony, timescales and the requirement for publishing Banns of the marriage, or for the issue of a Common Licence. There is not usually any need to involve the Superintendent Registrars. If you are planning to marry in any other church or religious building, you will need to give notice at the Register Office in the registration district in which you live, very much in the same way as you would if you were to be married in the Register Office or at an Approved Venue. If you wish to be married in a church in a different district to where you live one of you must worship there. The Register Office will be able to advise you. Some churches require the presence of a Registrar at the wedding; others have their own Registrar (or Authorised Person). If you think you will need a Registrar at your wedding you will need to give us as much notice as possible to avoid being disappointed. Marriages Abroad Changes to Your Passport A Superintendent Registrar may accept notice for a marriage to take place in a foreign country between a British subject and either a foreign subject or another British subject. There are so many things to organise when you are getting married, if you are changing your name you may need to change your passport as well. They may be able to issue a certificate, which can be produced to help the procedure abroad. Check with your travel agent or the countries consulate if you are traveling abroad for your honeymoon. You can change your passport details at any time up to three months before the wedding, although you will not be able to use it, until your wedding date. However, the rules vary and you should consult the Superintendent Registrar about a marriage to be solemnized in a foreign country under local law. Sometimes it is possible for a record of the marriage to be made under the Foreign Marriage Order 1970, but For further information, contact this is not always the case and you should consult the www.direct.gov.uk Superintendent Registrar for more details. 15