Celebrate in Herefordshire - Page 10

Giving Giving notice means making a legal declaration that you are both free to marry or form a civil partnership together and will require you to provide certain documents. You may do this up to one year before the date of your wedding. It may be possible to provisionally book staff to attend your marriage more than one year before the wedding date. Hereford Register Office can advise on this - telephone 01432 383261. You will need to make an appointment with the Registration Office in the district in which you live to give notice. You must both have lived in the registration district in England or Wales for 7 clear days immediately before the date you give notice of your marriage. It does not matter if either of you moves to a different address once you have given notice. The Bride and Groom must both give notice and this must be done in person at the Register Office. In general, notice must be given in the district where you live. If both of you live in the same district a joint appointment can be made with your local office. If you live in separate districts then you should make individual appointments with your own local districts, if possible around the same date. When you give notice, the Registration Officer will ask questions about you and your partner. He or she will ask your full names and addresses, your age, whether either of you has been married or have entered into a Civil Partnership before, your occupations and your nationalities. It is necessary for you and your partner to provide us with details of proof of age, identity and nationality and also evidence that you are free to marry. We will need to see your passport or full birth certificate as well as a document proving your address, such as a driving licence or recent utility bill. If either of you has been married or in a civil partnership before, you will need to show it has legally ended, for example a decree absolute or a dissolution document. All documents must be originals and not photocopies. 9 If you have legally changed your names, we will need to see the Registered Deed Poll.