Bed & Breakfast News Christmas 2016 (#43) - Page 19

Visit our website: | | 19 Changes to PPL Music Licensing - including a new ‘exemption’ for small B&Bs An expert from PPL spells out to us how recent changes affect B&Bs and guest houses - including a new ‘exemption’ for small B&Bs. Experiences That’s what many consumers are chasing in this day and age, and the hospitality sector is no stranger to delivering unique experiences for guests. Whether it’s using a specialist music supplier to develop a bespoke hotel ‘sound’, selecting certain types of music for different spaces and times of day, hiring resident DJs, or providing TVs, radios or record players for in-room entertainment, music has the potential to play an important role in creating that something special for guests. However, regardless if you’re a small hotel playing music in the lobby or part of a globally renowned chain with a strong music brand, if you’re looking to play recorded music you need to make sure you’re correctly licensed. Confused? No need to be. Music licensing company PPL can help you navigate your way through the short process, especially if you’re a small hotel or guesthouse owner getting to grips with its newly revised tariff for the sector. What tariff and why is it changing? For more than 25 years, PPL has offered a Small Residential Hotels and Guesthouses tariff, which covers premises that have a limited number of bedrooms and facilities used by residents and bonafide guests only. The tariff had not kept pace with changes in legislation and so PPL launched a consultation earlier this year to discuss with small residential hotels and guesthouses its proposal for a revised tariff to cover playing background music in public areas and the supply of music to guest bedrooms. PPL listened to feedback and has updated its tariff, having taken into account the consultation responses. The revised tariff will take effect from 1st January 2017. A radio or TV in a guest bedroom means you are providing recorded music, subject to a PPL licence